• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9700 How to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
D

Dragon_Engineer2

Well I'm getting ready to over clock my radeon 9700.I need some one who has already done this with their card to give me step by step instructions on how to remove the heat sink.I also need to know if they just cleaned off the thermal pad or lightly sanded the surface of the gpu.

Just pop the plastic clips out of the card and remove the heatsink. Remove all traces of old thermal interface material (TIM). Fine steel wool (with the heatsink and card out of the case) cleans things up real well. Regrease with Arctic Silver 3 and reinstall.

I haven't got around to doing my card yet, but I will when I get a bout of ambition....:)

Hmm I should have pointed this out before but I dont have a Built by ATI.I have saphire's powered by ATI.Looking at my card and looking at pictures of the Built by ATI 9700 the heat sink and mounting clips seem to be the same.But do you think I might run into some surprises?

DragonEngineer said:
Hmm I should have pointed this out before but I dont have a Built by ATI.I have saphire's powered by ATI.Looking at my card and looking at pictures of the Built by ATI 9700 the heat sink and mounting clips seem to be the same.But do you think I might run into some surprises?

uh ya DONT DO IT there is a shim glued to the gpu that is higher than the core itself, you have to remove it in order to use any T.I.M.. if you dont remove it the gpu will overheat and kill the card.... now if you still want to do it just take a knife and pry the shim off... (there is a good chance you will kill the card as well as any chance of getting the card rma'd)

im sure the other members could explain this better than me (im half asleep right now)...

What purpose does the shim serve now I'm confused.How does the current heat sink work then?

Ghost68 said:

uh ya DONT DO IT there is a shim glued to the gpu that is higher than the core itself, you have to remove it in order to use any T.I.M.. if you dont remove it the gpu will overheat and kill the card.... now if you still want to do it just take a knife and pry the shim off... (there is a good chance you will kill the card as well as any chance of getting the card rma'd)

im sure the other members could explain this better than me (im half asleep right now)...

I have to argue here.

I left the shim on my 9700 pro. Take a look at my sig, and then click here: http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4887498

I'm definitely getting some good heat transfer here. It's not too hard to check with something flat (I used a small screwdriver) to see if the core sits higher than the shim... mine did, by a teeny bit.

Just make sure you lap the heatsink really good if you're re-using the stock one because they're warped as hell from the factory...

I plan on using the Thermaltake Crystal Orb.Can any one supply some pictures?

Back