• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Different Kind Of Blowhole?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i actually tried this before because one of my cpu sockets on the mobo is over a cutout in the tray. i put a 40mm fan on it and closed the case back up and saw a 7c drop in temps on that cpu and a 2c drop on the other. but here's an idea i just came up with. why not use that thermal tape to build up the inside of the ziff socket to where it will contact the back side of the cpu? then you could use a heatsink on the mobo backside and it really would help right? any thoughts on this project?

blowing air all over the back of the motherboard can help a bit but not much, all those little soldered tips are going to get caked with dust.

~z

kaltag, what exactly do you mean by using thermal tape to build up the ziff socket? sticking a heatsink onto the backside of the mobo? i doubt there's enough room for that. is 7c a huge difference when overclocking? how much farther do you think you could get overclocking with a 7c drop?

Xevuhtess7, since there's an empty space inside the ziff socket why not fill it with the thermal tape to the point where it makes contact with the backside of the cpu. then heat would be tranferred directly to the motherboard where you pick it back up with a heat sink on the backside of the mobo. like i said i have a hole on the mobo tray already so i might trey it but most don't, this is just a fanciful idea but might be worth a try.

ooohhh i understand now kaltag. aren't there sensors or little resistors or sumtin in the middle of the socket? also, im not so sure a crapload of thermaltape would conduct heat so well considering it doesn't conduct very well to begin with... a centimeter of it probaby wouldn't work so well. but mabye.... anyone tried this before?

yeah there are sensors and resistors in bottom of the socket but the tape can conform to the shape which is why it just might work. this might be this weekends project...

i thought you meant the OTHER kind of blow hole!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

wouldn't it be nice to just have an aluminum mobo tray?

Last edited:
How wrong those sensors can be!

One day i checked my cpu temp with MBM5. It showed the temp to be 188*F.:mad: By the way anyone know how to enter the bios on a newer compaq?:confused:

Back