• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Different Kind Of Blowhole?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

i was doing my usual computer related pondering last night and i thought, hey if people put blowholes on one side of the case, why not the other. is it practical to put a slim-line fan blowhole right under where the cpu socket is on the mobo? i got this idea partly from touching the backside of my gpu and realizing it was just as hot as the heatsink. any thoughts?

You could do that and it would knock off a few degrees, Because the motherboard acts as a second heatsink in a way.

You can think of it as putting a fan on the back of your video card to get lower temps, Like you stated

Originally posted by Xevuhtess7
are there any fans that are that thin though?

I guess if you really wanted to try it, you could just put a fan on the outside of your case. Of course it probably wouldn't look very nice, but you might get the better results your looking for.

Tipycol

I have thought of this too and I have done it. I cut a blowhole right above the mobo and between the psu and cdroms. I placed the fan (92mm 50cfm Sunon exhausting) on the outside so it looks like it's hanging, but it's not really ugly.

I believe it helps a lot, especially if you have some fans for intake in the bottom front or opposite side-plate. I have 1x80 40cfm fan (bottom front) plus 2x92 50cfm fans (bottom left side-plate) for intake and 2x80 30 cfm fans (rear top) plus 1x92 50cfm fan (top right side-plate, the fan in question here) for exhaust and my case's temp is the same as my room's temp, the optimal condition.

What you could do to lower the *measured* cpu temps is to place a small fan like a 40x10 or a 60x10 on the outside of the case right below the cpu, blowing fresh air on the mobo. I don't believe a bigger fan would make a difference at that spot as it most probably won't be able to work at all, the mobo base-plate will be blocking all the air flow. If you are adventurous and you can measure well, you can try cutting the mobo base-plate AND the side-plate so you can freelly blow some air on the back of the mobo.

Cheers

ive got 2 80mm blowholes in the top of my case (about 33cfm each) and im goin to put an intake in the front and possibly a duct above the hsf. cant give any temps yet tho... going to buy some ram 2day:D

when i had my Tnt2 overclocked 125/150 to 160/200 the back sid eof the card was to hot to touch. so i took my MB northbridge cooler, that i had replaced with a Crystal orb, and superglued it to the back of the card with some non conductive past in between. it worked great, i thought it was cool that the northbridge cooler was painted so it didn't conduct electricity. maybe a good nonconductive heatsink placed on the backside of your MB with a exhaust above it and an intake under it would get really cool down your socket temps. or maybe you could just cut a hole in your case the same size as a heatsink like the 1u, and get the fins flush with the outside of the case.that way on the side of your case you have sweet looken copper fins.

i think if i did a blowhole right behind the cpu socket... i'd have it suck air off of it and exhaust it. also, i dont think any kind of heatsink would fit on that side of the mobo, let alone with a fan in addition... i think i'd want to have the fan on the inside, cause im painting and window modding my case so i want to keep everything nice and tidy. mabye a 60mm or 80mm.... depending on how thin they get. 15mm sounds thin enough though.

im wondering if i should cut a hole in the motherboard try?? i am going to put a 60 or 80 blowing cold air on the back...if i mount it to the right side panel and cut a hole on the motherboard try i think it would be very cool...do you all think that would work?

~Will

how the heck would you cut a hole in the mobo? thats like taking a drilling a friggin hole through your cpu isn't it?

there is the mobo tray where the mobo is attached to and then the wall of the case. you should cut a hole in both so that the air from outside can blow right onto the mback of the mobo and not the mobo tray

oooooooohhhhhhhhh i thought they were talkign about cutting the actual mobo or sumtin.... :) oh well, but thats kind of a given.... thats just plain stupid if you cut the case panel but not the mobo tray....

thing is, the back of your mobo where the cpu socket is at doesnt really have all that much heat, the heat is in the chip, which is dissipiated by your heatsink, the mobo around it is already very cool if you have a fan blowing down on it, this mod would however help those users like myself with an exhausting type heatsink, to remove more hot air around the socket.

Xevuhtess7 said:
i was doing my usual computer related pondering last night and i thought, hey if people put blowholes on one side of the case, why not the other. is it practical to put a slim-line fan blowhole right under where the cpu socket is on the mobo? i got this idea partly from touching the backside of my gpu and realizing it was just as hot as the heatsink. any thoughts?

Oh, you can put intakes anywhere, but I don't recommend cutting your mobo tray, unless you're going to make a nice round hole right behind the CPU socket in both the tray and the right side of the case, with a fan outside. However, it would probably be better to make an exhaust on that side, otherwise a lot of dust will find it's way behind your motherboard.

Back