• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy Mother Of Pearl!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCarne_Asada

so i am looking through the Compusa ad and they had 160gig harddrives with $130 rebates. Since my dad doesnt trust the internet and he is looking to get me a new computer we head down to Compusa. So i grab 2 160gig Western Digital Hard Drives, and start talking about DVD Burners. So I start looking at those and grab one. Then my dad walks away and starts looking at the Monitors because the Angel game is on. Then i say "Man that's a nice monitor, i wish i had an LCD" so we start browsing at those. My dad said "Casey if you get rid of the burner or a harddrive i will buy you it" HMMMM 2 160gig harddrives in RAID, or a 19" LCD.........so i put a harddrive back.

Final Results:
1 160gig Western Digital 7200rpm 8meg Harddrive
1 Sony DRU-500A DVD Burner With some -/+ media
1 Samsung 19" Black LCD Monitor
and 1 extremely happy 16 year old boy, grinning from ear to ear.

as an added bonus....I still have my new computer coming my way.

And a spoiled one at that. You've got a machine with an F-ing 1.33Ghz chip, 512MB of RAM, 100GB of storage space, and you need *another*, "faster" one?

Spoiled. Grrr... :mad:

well if your dad will buy you all that, take him to the car lot and see if he'll buy one for ya.

xCarne_Asada said:
i am still on SDRAM, and i want to get a DDR board with a 2gig+ proc. and maybe a nice Radeon 9700 Pro

Thats too bad, only SDram, and 1.3ghz isn't fast enough? When you have to pay for all your own stuff you will understand.

My parents never bought me anything, and Im glad. I now know how to manage my money. Humm raid w/ 160gb HDDs or eat dinner?

spoiled or not, most of you can't say that if you were him you would have said "no thanks dad, I'd like to prepare myself for life and buy all my own stuff" (that is, unless your parents really can't afford it and are just trying to make you happy)

i know i wouldn't :D

Talon101 - I already have the family 91 Chevy Astro Van, so no need for a new car.

he just felt bad, because he bought my brothers new computers with LCD Monitors, and shipped them off to college. So he wants to make sure i dont feel like i got the shaft. Also he wants to give my "old" parts to my step-brother, which is fine with me.

edit: i plugged in the monitor and i am loving it. I can rotate the screen, so i dont have to scroll through internet explorer to view things it's awesome to the 10th power. I am going to play with the harddrive and burner tomorrow when i get home from school.

ARRRRRG!! And I had to suffer through SHARING a Pentium 2 266mhz with 32mb of RAM for a good 4 years.

I now officially hate you!

hehe, j/k. I'm happily affixed to my 1.6ghz | 256mb PC2700 DRR machine. But I paid for it. (so maybe I do still hate you just a little)

My parents never bought me anything, and Im glad. I now know how to manage my money. Humm raid w/ 160gb HDDs or eat dinner?

LOL. Not eat and end up like that korean guy who died gaming on his comp j/k

I think learning to manage money is a valuable skill, I never buy any parts for my comp unless I have like a couple hundred dollar buffer zone incase something happens and I really need the money right away. However like previosuly said if my dad was asking me if I wanted new stuff I would say yes hehe.

Although id take the 160 gb raid over an lcd any day.

Last edited:
My first PC costed 8700 $s :
It was a 486 SX33
8MB RAM
180 MB HDD
1MB Vesa Video
14" monitor .... I was happy to.... ;)
Lets just wait :)

My $.02

Cool......

I would have kept the 2hd's for a raid tho, that woulda been sweet.

In my opinion, LCD's are just a trend.......it's nice to look at, but they suck when there's any motion on the screen (ESPECIALLY gaming since it looks like that is what you want to do with a 9700pro)

But that's just me, I'll take a 21" trinitron any day :)

TimDgsr said:
spoiled or not, most of you can't say that if you were him you would have said "no thanks dad, I'd like to prepare myself for life and buy all my own stuff" (that is, unless your parents really can't afford it and are just trying to make you happy)

i know i wouldn't :D

i definatly would say no. i have brought every piece of equipment i own. from my hifi setup to my t.v and my pc's. i even brought the parts for a pc,built it and gave it to my parents.
Im proud of the fact that i have brought these things myself. and have pity for those how jump at the chance to let parents buy things for them

Re: My $.02

Stumpjumper5200 said:
In my opinion, LCD's are just a trend.......it's nice to look at, but they suck when there's any motion on the screen (ESPECIALLY gaming since it looks like that is what you want to do with a 9700pro)

The old ones yes, but the new Samgung's Sharp's, and Viewsonics, no. Not at all true. Very good monitors without any noticeable ghosting. But they don't stack up to CRT's just yet. :)

Re: My $.02

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Cool......

I would have kept the 2hd's for a raid tho, that woulda been sweet.

i am still going to get another harddrive for raid, but that comes with x-mas, or maybe i can sneek one in when i build the new computer. :D

Back