• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up a server possibly...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

alright guys here's the deal, ive got my secondary rig here that doesnt do a thing except fold.. i'm actually thinkin about sellin it, but thats another story. anyway, for now to put it into good use i was thinking of maybe setting up a game server, i know alot of you play UT2003 on the OCS server we have here, and have a great time... basically i'm just interested in knowing if i could set it up?

the machines specs are in my sig. also i was wondering if others (someone from here for instance) would be able to join in, because i have a linksys router that my internet goes through... just some general questions.

oh and i do have cable, but its a bit different than you guys are thinking, because my upload USUALLY rocks, the past 2 weeks for instance, i have yet to see it drop below 768, and alot of the time its above 1mb... (according to WWW.DSLREPORTS.COM anyway)

sounds good bro, thx a lot man, make sure your around if we want to change setting every now and again :) um......we have a dm, ctf, and an instagib already....another dm might be good...your server might be better for those in a different place (dunno where you live but the "ryan's scooby server" one is in PA)

well thats why i posted this thread, i wasnt sure what games, or even IF i could host with my machine and cable connection.. also i dont know the first thing about setting one up.. or maintaning one.. or getting around my router... :p

also i dont have UT2003, nor do i plan on getting it at the moment.. im not big into those types of games.. but i was thinking perhaps BF1942 if i buy that.. and maybe some others.. ive got a list somewhere in this mess

thats no problem, im pretty sure there is a lite verson of the game for just making dedicated servers, you can get it at www.unrealtournament2003.com now about the other stuff i dont really know, i think that a 768-1mbit is alright for a bunch of people though....maybe 15 or so? heh, i dunno....someone will know....

any interest in a half-life (CS) or other mods, server? i think i've got half-life sitting around here somewhere.... from what i've been reading to make a decent BF1942 server you've got to have BUTTLOADS of bandwidth... hm.. perhaps i should buy some new games.

DManeKid said:
so whats the progress?

scrapping up dough for some games, as i dont really have any current ones! that and i still dont know how to effectively set it up here so it can go through my router...

Lusankya said:
Make a BattleField 1942 server.. OC alreadty has a UT one.. we need a BF one

definately WOULD NOT be UT2k3... i'm really not impressed by ut2k3... but thats just me.

Lusankya said:
WooHoo.. OC BF1942 here we come :)

MAYBE. :) dont get too excited, i do hope my ISP gets its act together.. ever since i got my cable its been 1.2mb down and always around 1mb up.. lately i'm lucking if i get 512/512 :( that and does anyone know any guides for setting up a server? and how to get out through my router? i'll also need to get around my static IP wont i....

hmmm you may want to put some more RAM in that machine for bf1942. It sucks up all you can give.

rdytorave said:
hmmm you may want to put some more RAM in that machine for bf1942. It sucks up all you can give.

agreed, i'm hopefully throwing the 256mb cruicial in there as well if/when i upgrade my main rig...

wow i just see that gogamers has BF1942 for a measly 25bucks... that shouldnt take too long to scrape up.

Back