• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need an original 2.4 GHZ P4 owner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
EVERY BODY IN THE WORLD ,tell me if i'm wrong.

willys stink, that's why we all recamend the woodies.

btw, again this is just one test.....it doesn't mean anything to me.
and it shouldn't mean anything to you eather.

I can't talk about you, but I'm a big photoshop user, as well as a heavy gamer.

do you realy think I'm going to go back to a 600e OCed to 800mhz after I have a rig like this.

give me a 4600 or the ati 9700pro, and I'll go head to head with any amd system out there.

I have no Idea what you are trying to get at with this bogus test.

do you realy think a P3 1000 will give me better frame rates then my 1.6a at 2.535 in UT 2003?????

please list your entire system and what you do with it.....

also list at least some sandra tests and 3dmark2k2.

if your system sucks maybe we can help.

untill then, have a nice day.

mica

Well mica ,at least i found someone to hear my problem.

Here is my PC:

willy 1.7 256 half cache
DDR 256 PC2100
Radeon 7500 pro
asus p4b-266 se

The program which i'm trying to power up my pc for that is 3dsmax 3.1 . i most cases my p4 renders a bit faster than p3 1000
but when i want to produce a reflect/refract image the p3 takes over my p4, & it hurts.
In comparison with a XP1700+ my p4 totally fails in every test or program you can possibly imagine.
This is the second piont i got irritated with my p4
Do you how much did i pay for this piece of junk ,i could have tualatin or XP2000+ by that time, but as i was always on intel's side, i prefered to be loyal.

now i see i have made a big mistake, and i cannot afford the expense of upgrading to a 2.4 or higher.

I play games like nfs5 ,medal of honor,.....
I do not play quake 3 arena!
In all my game my little willy sucksssshsh....

Well mica ,at least i found someone to hear my problem.

Here is my PC:

willy 1.7 256 half cache
DDR 256 PC2100
Radeon 7500 pro
asus p4b-266 se

The program which i'm trying to power up my pc for that is 3dsmax 3.1 . i most cases my p4 renders a bit faster than p3 1000
but when i want to produce a reflect/refract image the p3 takes over my p4, & it hurts.
In comparison with a XP1700+ my p4 totally fails in every test or program you can possibly imagine.
This is the second piont i got irritated with my p4
Do you how much did i pay for this piece of junk ,i could have tualatin or XP2000+ by that time, but as i was always on intel's side, i prefered to be loyal.

now i see i have made a big mistake, and i cannot afford the expense of upgrading to a 2.4 or higher.

I play games like nfs5 ,medal of honor,.....
I do not play quake 3 arena!
In all my game my little willy sucksssshsh....

what would you do if you were in my place?
BTW you didnt tell me whether those fault of p4 are true or not?

OK,

for $140 shipped you can get the 1.8a.......

it OCs nice, up to 2.9ghz.

you will need new memory, but you should get a nice boost from the start.

they have 512 l2 cashe so it will be a big help.

if you can get your memory to 133fsb then you have a 2.4ghz rig.

good luck

mica

Thanks for your hints,

But let me ask a question:
can i install over 2.4 on this mobo , and how far can i oc
and can i put radeon 9700 on it?

thanks

Afshin_BMW said:
Thanks for your hints,

But let me ask a question:
can i install over 2.4 on this mobo , and how far can i oc
and can i put radeon 9700 on it?

thanks

the 2.4b is a bad OCer, so is the 2.4a......maybe 2.7ghz max for both chips.

as for the 9700....why not?

mica

Swtiching time?

Yo Afshoo, did you take into account that maybe you were pressing the stop and start button on your stopper with a 0.5 second delay. IF you do the math thats two delays per cycle for a total of 1 second :D . You a funny guy though with an interesting sort of humour.

Here is the thing, remember P4s since their early introduciton were optimized for faster I/O while P3s were optomized for mathematics and data processing, why you think they still being used in servers?

Ohh, i had the 2.4a and now I'm running 2.26b with SL6EF "C1" stepping. This CPU rocks, no ways around it, try to avoid 2.4 especially the Costa Rica ones, they no good at OC.

Represent brother........represent.

Kam
------------------------------------------
YOU JUST GOT FRAGGED!!!!

My 1st P4 was a 1.7ghz. I picked the 1.7 only after reading bad benchmarks and reviews on the slower models. The 1.7 seemed to change things. My P4 1.7 also overclocked to 2108mhz. I then bought a P4 1.8 one soon after to which due to high voltage and overclocks i burnt it. I had that baby over 2300mhz so i can't say the williamettes were bad. This was done with a ASUS P4T board and danger waterblock / peltier.
Anyways afterwards i RMAed it and now it has run 24/7 for nearly 9 months with SETI @ 2016 and stock voltage. My SETI times with this machine average 3:35 - 3:45 .

My current P4 2.4 runs SETI 24/7 @ 2700 with a voltage of 1.65 . The times on this machine are around 2:40 - 2:50. I can hit 3000+ with this chip but it's nowhere near stable even with watercooling/ 156W peltier. Voltages needed for this were near 2.0v. Scary!

My reason for buying the 2400mhz back in April was that even if i couldn't overclock high at least i could back it down to what at the time was Intels fastest chip of 2400mhz stock.

micamica1217 said:

the 2.4b is a bad OCer, so is the 2.4a......maybe 2.7ghz max for both chips.

as for the 9700....why not?

mica
mica, you obviously didnt look here.:D but, i counted 8 over 3 gigs, and 7 over 2900, and 10 over 2800, and i hardly call that a bac oc'er. its luck of the draw, and components. this chip is a nice chip and if someone wants to get one, they should.;)

edit, the link i posted wonldnt work right, but all that is needed is to go to the database and click on 2.4b.:D

jdmcnudgent said:
mica, you obviously didnt look here.:D but, i counted 8 over 3 gigs, and 7 over 2900, and 10 over 2800, and i hardly call that a bac oc'er. its luck of the draw, and components. this chip is a nice chip and if someone wants to get one, they should.;)

edit, the link i posted wonldnt work right, but all that is needed is to go to the database and click on 2.4b.:D

Hm well in the light of seeing some poor results from users here I'd take the already questionable database with quite a sizeable grain of salt, jdmcnudgent. Also, the listed chips are not all C1's so the history of this type is sizeable... many chips mean the lucky ones (likely to be reported) have a chance to accumulate.

I'm not sure about the idea of getting a solid 600Mhz from this type... the chance is there, but it's far from an easy shot.

jdmcnudgent said:

sorry jd, but I only quote speeds that I see from reliable peeps in the forums.....the data base has a few things that are questionable to me.

like how prime95 stable is that OC .....:rolleyes:

anyway, the 2.4s doesn't look good to me.

infact I'm starting to dislike C1s

just my .02

mica

Thanks mica

You just took me wrong
I mean what is the fastest un-oced cpu i can install on my p4b-266se, cause the mobo manual says 2400 or more so i wan to know how much more?

And did you know my manual also notes my agp slot supports 4x and 1x (not 2x) when radeon 9700 is a 8x agp, according to this do you think i can use it on my mobo, if so does it give me it's expected speed.

What's the diffrence btween 2.4b and 2.4a ,is there any diversity is speed deliverence or it's jus about oc?

thanks

u got a socket 478 mobo so any socket 478 p4 will work... right now i believe that is the 2.8ghz which is a waste of money in my book. the 2.53 for $230 sounds ok and if u want to save $45 then the 2.4ghz will do.
yes the radeon is capable of 8x but since ur board is only 4x the card will run at 4x. if your a hardcore gamer that wants the best video then by all means go for it. if and when u do get the card make sure to enable all the good filtering. thats when the radeon really shines. left without AA on u will not see any difference from the GF4.

AZN

yep, what AZN said.

oooops, you don't have a 478 mobo....you have a willie, right???

mica

Last edited:
I have a Compaq n600c notebook with a m-PIII @ 1Ghz. The 20000! test took 7sec to complete.

It is nothing new that the P4 underperforms with such tasks, this task is done by the FPU and that is not the strongest point of the P4.

micamica1217 said:

sorry jd, but I only quote speeds that I see from reliable peeps in the forums.....the data base has a few things that are questionable to me.

like how prime95 stable is that OC .....:rolleyes:

anyway, the 2.4s doesn't look good to me.

infact I'm starting to dislike C1s

just my .02

mica
i understand what your saying bro. heres a one for you, what if i had a 2.8@3465, 165fsb, and it would not run prime 95 stable, but, it ran seti, which is something i use, on a everyday basis, is my chip not stable, even thought i cant run prime95, but i can play games and run seti, im not stable??

Last edited:
micamica1217 said:
yep, what AZN said.

oooops, you don't have a 478 mobo....you have a willie, right???

mica
i think he has or had a willi, but the p4b-266se is a socket 478

AZN

jdmcnudgent said:
i understand what your saying bro. heres a one for you, what if i had a 2.8@3465, 165fsb, and it would not run prime 95 stable, but, it ran seti, which is something i use, on a everyday basis, is my chip not stable, even thought i cant run prime95, but i can play games and run seti, im not stable??

I would say you may be getting math errors in setti.:eek:
is that something you want???

here's one for you, I need extra voltage to play mafia.....yet it's prime stable 24hrs right now. is my OC stable, or do I need a patch?:p

anyway, jd, this is all in fun.

mica

Back