• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oportunity! need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawk

Ok guys we have an opportunity here! I will have access to 18 p4 computers that run 24/7 I can’t get to these to put the client on them until Dec 21. (they’re 3000 miles away) There are 7 stand alones and 9 on a server. I’m not sure how the server computers are administered but I’m pretty sure the have hard drives. These computers are set up so you can’t save to the hard drive but I will have access to admin rights. J Problem is I need the program to be hidden, it needs to restart hidden if the computer reboots or has other problems, as I will again be 3000 miles away. The person who over sees the day to day use and updates software on these boxes is going to allow me access to get them running but is not real savvy when it comes to this stuff so I need to get this done right in one try and run with out support. O one more thing lots of diffrent users use these daily. I know this is a lot to ask but dang! 18 p4’s would really help team 32..and my stats :D SO…..lay it on me all suggestions welcome!

new_novice said:
google toolbar and change the team and name :D
Any one see any potential gaps in new_novice's idea?
*edit* does any ie have to be open for the client to run?

google toolbar like new mentioned could be an option.

i would go with setting up each client as a scheduled task and set them to run when the computer is turned out. there is a guide in the FAQ for this -=here=-. It would be a quick setup on any of the machines.

Or you can use firedaemon to run them as a service There is a guide in the FAQ -=here=- for that. This method is also very easy to setup.

What OS are these things running?

FOLD ON
NAS

hawk646 said:

Any one see any potential gaps in new_novice's idea?
*edit* does any ie have to be open for the client to run?

nope, if you look at the msconfig you will see "..yourpath\GoogleDCC.exe -startup" run from the registry. Then you can uncheck the option to display the bar after you have changed the name and number in the cfg and registry and it will be out of site.

FOLD ON
NAS

Folding

Run as a service. In 2000 or XP, use the task scheduler in the control panel. Set it up to run "at startup". Use the administrator password when prompted. Check the advanced options and disable the "turn off after 72 hours option". Then go back to the scheduled tasks in the control panel. You should see the folding@home shortcut. Right click it and select properties. On the target line which looks something like "C:/YourFAHClient/isinstalled/inthisdirectory"... add this at the end of that line: -advmethods -forceasm

There is a space after the quotation and after the "s" in advmethods.

Those 2 flags will make the P4's fold very fast, but otherwise are not necessary to running the client as a service.

98se i'm pretty sure but will check -I haven't looked at the links yet will they both ways run on 98se and invisible?

hawk646 said:
98se i'm pretty sure but will check -I haven't looked at the links yet will they both ways run on 98se and invisible?

firedaemon won't work on 98 i think,but the reg hack and the scheduled task and gui method work as i have used them in the past and they are completely hidden. I would consider the google method on these comps as well though since they are 98 and sometimes services are more of a pain on 98 machines.

FOLD ON
NAS

service

It'll run on 98 as a service, but will have problems if the computer is logged off and then logged back on. And you'd have to use the graphical client because the text-only client will not be invisible. I'd try the google toolbar, although it may also have trouble when the users logout and log back in.

The -advmethods and -forceasm flags are still a good idea if you can get these P4's going. A good 33-60% increase in production for P4's....

Re: service

Arkaine23 said:
It'll run on 98 as a service, but will have problems if the computer is logged off and then logged back on. And you'd have to use the graphical client because the text-only client will not be invisible. I'd try the google toolbar, although it may also have trouble when the users logout and log back in.

The -advmethods and -forceasm flags are still a good idea if you can get these P4's going. A good 33-60% increase in production for P4's....
I just put google bar on my laptop at work and can't see that it has put a client on or that it is running. I know I cant fold from here because of tight security but would it not be trying? win2k on lap top.
Yea I started using -advmethods on my p4s at home recently after some trouble but fine now.

If I were you, I would avoid using the Google method, on anything. I don't trust Google to be foolish enough not to check those changes or overwrite them when the DC features get updated (which is automatic).

Who put win 98 on P4 systems? Did they already have the liscenses or something?

I would work with whoever it is is running the lab.. have him install the client using a few different methods before you head over there. Then, whatever works, fully deploy that when you arrive.

folding

You can check the log file for folding. You can also look in the task manager's list of running processes. It won't fold if it can't download a core or work units though.

Re: folding

Arkaine23 said:
You can check the log file for folding. You can also look in the task manager's list of running processes. It won't fold if it can't download a core or work units though.
Where is Google putting this stuff?
I've got the tool bar on my home pc's sure hope I'm not running 2 instances. I need to check and delete there crap. I searched my drive here and and could not find any thing. I can download the stuff so I assumed the tool bar could too. don't know tho.
Any way anyone know where google puts it? Is it like our cfg files or is it coded.
Thanks for the help you guys. I think I am leaning toward running it as a scheduled task.
To bad I have wait so long. but my contact dont really have a clue about this or I'd have that person do it.

Hey, you could always see if someone here is close by. Then we could give them a hand and you could check to make sure all was well when you do go by.

Good thought ...but don't think friend would allow admin access to put software on. :( barley agreed to let me.

Oh, I was just talking about helping him do it. Wouldn't need it for that, but it was just a thought.

1. I thought Firedameon thing you have to pay for? one the trial expired.

2. I wouldnt put the adv method in there, cause it will be a pain if the server for Gromac is down at a certain time or any changes to it in the future, so it's best if it's unattended just to be regular.

Google is ok, but I haven't play around with it or anything so can't really say anything, umm can you unistall Google afterward? Would that take it out?

new_novice said:

there is a free version and a pro version, thankfully all that folding needs is all in the free version:)

FOLD ON
NAS

new_novice said:

You don't need to use Firedameon with windows 98 if you use the GUI version as a scheduled task.

Originally posted by new_novice
2. I wouldnt put the adv method in there, cause it will be a pain if the server for Gromac is down at a certain time or any changes to it in the future, so it's best if it's unattended just to be regular.

I totally agree with this, using the -advmethods flag right now means that you'll get Gromacs but it might mean something completely different in the future. So if you don't have immediate access to the clients, I wouldn't run it.

QUESTION - why is it that the man in charge of all these computers knows nothing about them? If he oversees them from day to day I'm sure he could handle this..

Back