• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my friend an idiot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

My friend is working on his school website. He is going to upload doom I, doom II, and i think Bust-A-Move 2, duke nukem, and gta2 and some other game. I keep telling him he shouldn't as he willget his *** busted, but he wont believe me and says "But i got them on 'freeware' sites." So now i need ur guy's help to give me something to say to him to make him not do it. Mods, thi sis anti-warez so plz dont delete.

i think doom1 and doom2 are shareware so i guess its okay with those two .. and yeah i think so duke nukem was shareware too, but gta2 umm i guess he will learn on his own

Hey, if he gets burned for being an idiot, it's not your problem. You told him.

While the Doom source might be open, the game is not. I don't even believe it's AbandonWare yet.

I think imma wait till it is up and then report it to the school anonomysly(sp?). Ya, i thougt they were okay, as they released the source.

nealric said:
why are there games for download on a school webside in the first place?

That's a good question

an addendum: The source is open. He could put that on the site so people could compile it. He couldn't, however, put the full compiled game on the site.

waren't doom1 and doom2 shareware? and i think shareware softwares you can download and keep or something like that

what's the website about?

and yeah if he wants to be in trouble (and from the sound of it he is begging for trouble) why do you want to be invovled? you did your job as a friend telling him not to do it, if he refuses to listen its not your obligation

well basically, the teachers dont pay attention to the site and they dont have anything to do.

baqai said:
waren't doom1 and doom2 shareware?

I don't believe so. Actually, now that I think of it, they might even be considered AbandonWare (thus countering what I said above :rolleyes: )

I'll ask a friend of mine who is knowledgeable.

Welcome to v1.9 of DOOM!

id Software respectfully requests that you do not modify the
levels for the shareware version of DOOM. We feel that the
distribution of new levels that work with the shareware version
of DOOM will lessen a potential user's incentive to purchase the
registered version.

If you would like to work with modified levels of DOOM, we
encourage you to purchase the registered version of the game.

Make sure you read the DOOM FAQ v6.666 if you have any problems
or are anxious to find out about the World of DOOM! The 4 files
of the FAQ are DMFAQ66A.TXT, DMFAQ66B.TXT, etc. Enjoy!

I got this from the readme which came with Doom 2 1.9 (err yeah i still have it :D)

Edit : on the starting screen it is written Provided Free Of Cost By id Software i coudnt take a screen shot of it

Last edited:
I talked to my friend, and he says it's classified as Shareware now, 'cause the source is released.

I didn't think that would matter. Go figure.

So he can have the Doom games up, and Duke Nukem, but other than that, I'd tell 'em to rip the other ones down. He could seriously get the school in trouble.

"School website"... hmmm....
I helped my school doing their website too. But minus the games.

btw, if he don't listens, let him regret it. Tell him that you've already warned him.

btw, Doom 2 is a shareware?!? damn...I spent AUD$9 (~US$4.5)on that game...I think it's full-version though... Anyway, there's shareware and full-version.

ps. get that game 6 years ago. Got it from "Harley Norman" the superstore.(spelling?) Sweet deal back than.

If he uploads the shareware version of Doom 1 (this is levels 1-9 of episode 1 only, the latest version of the engine being 1.666) then he is fine. Anything more than this is the full version, and is illegal.

Doom 2 never was and still isn't shareware.

These are in no way considered "Abandonware"- in fact, ID just re-released them together in a bundle package last year as a sort of memorial of Doom and to stir up more interest in Doom 3.

Again, the first Episode of Duke 3D is shareware, anything else is full version, and deep **** time.

All other software, didnt even have a shareware version as far as I know.

The school district, and ultimatly your friend, is liable to get in deep trouble if he does this.

Back