• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

51c is this high for cpu??PLZ answer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

Hi, I have experienced a few different ASUS boards lately, and I have noticed that they all have thier own temps.... the one I have now, is a P4PE, and it runs the cpu at 43 to a high at frag times for 49c. Is this high, and do I need to worry about this >?? It has been this way from the time I installed the cpu in this board. It ran cooler in another ASYUS board, like around 36-40c.......is this the board, or is it the probe giving me all these different measurements?? thank you for all your help.
I had this in another place in these forums, and no one answered NOw it is going higher, from the 49c to 51 druing fragging......

I'm not an Intel guy, but as far as I know, that's perfectly within the acceptable temperature range for normal operation. As long as it doesn't bother you and the system is not adversly affected, don't worry about it. If you're worried, set it back at stock if it's overclocked and/or get better cooling. My computer was running at 63 and it was perfectly stable. It's not now, because it worried me, but 72C is the max for AMD, so I wasn't too close to killing it, just closer than I wanted to be.

Z

zachj said:
I'm not an Intel guy, but as far as I know, that's perfectly within the acceptable temperature range for normal operation. As long as it doesn't bother you and the system is not adversly affected, don't worry about it. If you're worried, set it back at stock if it's overclocked and/or get better cooling. My computer was running at 63 and it was perfectly stable. It's not now, because it worried me, but 72C is the max for AMD, so I wasn't too close to killing it, just closer than I wanted to be.

Z

dude, i can guarantee your temps would improve if you replaced that TT II with something better. some have said that the slk and the tt II isn't a good combo.

I'm sorry I should have explained that I have a volcano 7+ on the cpu and my computer specs are as follows.
400w power kingstar, and the following stuff,
P4PE 2.53 malay
1024mb 2100 samsung 512 memory
Radeon 9700 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum w/digital 5.1's
60gig Maxtor 7200rpm
100gig IBM 7200rpm
this system kicks! next step is a good box to put it into with a window and lights......lol

and now , maybe some extreme cooling!

Last edited:
little on the high side

It is hard to directly compare temperature numbers from one board to the next though. As long as your heatsink is making proper contact with the chip, the fan is turning, and the machine is stable and providing the expected performance I wouldn't worry too much. My chip ran 45C max with the retail cooler, and dropped 5C with the addition of an AX-478 and mild fan. I'm not sure what you have as far as chip and heatsink, but the AX-478 is pretty cheap insurance. Either it or the Swiftech series of heatsinks offer significant reductions in temperature over the retail cooler.

leathersmt said:
I'm sorry I should have explained that I have a volcano 7+ on the cpu and my computer specs are as follows.
400w power kingstar, and the following stuff,
P4PE 2.53 malay
Radeon 9700 128mb
Audigy 2 Platinum w/digital 5.1's
60gig Maxtor 7200rpm
100gig IBM 7200rpm
this system kicks! next step is a good box to put it into with a window and lights......lol

and now , maybe some extreme cooling!

i would say its pretty normal. I've got the same volcano 7+ and it performs average at best. What setting do you use? I usually keep it on the low setting and i'm around 44 idle 48 load.

just a suggestion but such a fast system maybe bump some better ram in there or overclock it. You ram would be holding back your performance big time if you're kieeping it stock

memory , and fan speed.

I have the fan at high, that is what I was concerned about. The ram , yes, I am considering upping to 2700 and going with the good stuff, and have not decided on crucial or the other good one Corsiar, that is out there. Plus I want to make sure the 3200 will run on this board before I spend the money on it.... thank you.

I know I'de get better temps with a different fan, best from a Tornado. But right now it's running at 27C OCed to 1507 @ 1.73 volts according to MBM5, so I really am not too worried. I just wish I had read about that combo before I bought it. All other threads asking about it, though, I've warned them of the dangerous duo . . .

Z

I ordered a V7+ with my cpu because it was cheap. I found out why. It's a very average heatsink for a P4, regardless of reputation. The Thermaltake products are first and foremost inexpensive, and at times this is very apparent. I got better temps with the retail cooler with the V7+ set to anything other than high speed. I couldn't stand to listien it on any more than low speed, so I sent it back and used the reatail cooler unitl I knew what was actually better than stock, rather than just not stock. The AX-478 will outperform the retail cooler or the V7+ with even a modest fan. The swiftech is a touch more effective, although somewhat more expensive. The SLK-800 is better yet, but would require tracking down an adaptor to fit the P4 application. I found the V7+ to remarkably inneffective considering the mass of the sink itself and the surface area present.

wow, very informative, I had thought that the volcano was the best. Now I know why this place is here. Thank you . I will lok into these resources. Greg

i also thought the v7+ was great. but now i have it, its average at best. oh well, this is the only available best hsf locally, i got no other choices :(

leathersmt- my P4 2.4 (at stock speed) runs 39C at idle, 44 at full load.
2.4 @ 2.9 runs 47 @ idle, 52 @ full load (1.675V)

cool, I was worried for a while there. Thank all of you for your answers.
OH< BY THE WAY< here are my specs,

P4PE 2.53 malay
Radeon 9700 128mb this, is ya dont have it, get it!
Audigy 2 Platinum w/digital 5.1 inspire same with this!!
60gig Maxtor 7200rpm
100gig IBM 7200rpm

the volcano 7+ sucks ***. I had one and i got the same temps, now I put on the stock hsf and my temps are 3C lower, it may be a better hsf but doesn't make good contact or something....

my ax7 and 50cfm sunon runs my XP 1600+ at 9.5x183 (around 1750mhz highest it will go) with 1.9v and usually the temps vary from 48C to 55C. if it doesnt crash why bother fixing the temps? mine runs 100% fine and these temps are accurate cause they are gotten using a compunurse like temp probe.

i mean its not like your cpu is gonna flat out die if you run at that high a temp by the time it does die in like 5 years you will have allready purchased a new cpu or two.

Like the others said if your not having problems and its comfortable for ya then your probably fine.

What is your case temperature? what helps a lot it adding some case fans, this will give your HSF some fresher cooler air to work with.

Back