Registered

Bad units anyone else

Last week to ten days I've been getting a lot of bad units that cause the Folding executable to throw away hours worth of work and start over with the same unit or start up with a new unit. Anyone else experiencing this? OS in use is Win XP Pro. Is there a solution?

I would say to delete the core and let it download a new one. See if that helps it could be a bad core corrupting the WUs. Good luck

Fold on!!!
    Hello:sn:

On a string I was held Senior NASsoccer's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    are all these bad WU's the same one? are they all coming from a certain server?

FOLD ON
    NAS

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I had this problem on 1 of my rigs and it turned out to be that this rig was not quite totally stable at the overclock I had it running at. I backed it down around 25 mhz and it ran fine after that.

Folding 24/7 in Newport News, Va. Since Sept. 2001
    That is my experience also. The indication that I get that my clock is set too high for the core I'm folding is a bad wu and down load of a new one. This will continue indefinitely until you clock down or correct instability. Because you are getting some work done before the rejection You are close to stable. Also check you temps. Gromacs definitely warms you up. As Muddocktor suggested a 25mhz decrease should do it. It's great to have a motherboard who's bios allows you to increase/decrease in 1mhz increments. If you have an extreme OC expect to have to decrease for Gromacs.
    Fold Smart
    E6600@2.4x2
    Proud member of Folding@Home Team #32--Folding 24/7
    "Greater love hath no man than to give up his puter(s) for science."

10 Year Badge
    I was running a 1 gig Duron at stock speeds and getting some message where the work is not verified. This happened 3 times in a row. I was using overfoldix, so the core was new.

10 Year Badge
    i got 5 bad units. Delete the queue.dat file restart the client and all is well.
    My Heatware
    Join fold on 6/29/02, wanna join team VGT 38156
    Fold don't you stop
    Fold till you drop
    Fold to the top
    Yee ha be-bop

I've had a couple of bad core_65 units in the last few days, there's no stability problems as it's been running Gromacs for a couple of weeks solid. I guess maybe there were just a couple of dodgy ones being sent out.

Inactive Super Quad Mod donny_paycheck's Avatar
    Originally posted by muddocktor
    I had this problem on 1 of my rigs and it turned out to be that this rig was not quite totally stable at the overclock I had it running at. I backed it down around 25 mhz and it ran fine after that.
    Same here.
    Core i7 920 @ 4 GHz, 1.35v
    Corsair Nautilus 500 w/DD BIX radiator swap & Apogee GTX
    Asus P6T
    6GB Corsair Dominator
    XFX GeForce GTX 285
    WD Raptor 150GB / Hitachi 1TB
    Antec P182 / PCP&C Silencer 750
    Samsung 2232GW

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Registered
    Well, I've dropped my overclock down by 2mhz bus & 23mhz cpu as a first step. Let's see what happens over the next few days. Thanks for all the replies, peoples.

10 Year Badge
    My machine has dumped 2 units in the last hour or so. It downloaded a new core (core65) on its own, so hopefully that will fix it. I've been gone for a month, and it' has been doing this a lot since I got back (about a week ago.)
    Orion:
    Opteron 144<>Abit AN8 SLI<>2*512M Kingston HyperX pc3200<>XFX 7800gt<>seagate 250g<>Antec TP 2.0 550W<>watercooled

Pleiades:
    Opteron 144<>Abit AN8 ULTRA<>2*512M Kingston HyperX pc3200<>Aopen GF6600<>sb live 5.1<>2*60g HD<>2*320g Raid1<>Cooler Master 450W ACLY<>Thermalright XP-90C
    both chips cab2e's running at 300*8 stock voltage (yes, they will go much faster, but I want them to last)

ASK ME ABOUT FOLDING

Inactive Super Quad Mod donny_paycheck's Avatar
    Originally posted by Loggitt
    Well, I've dropped my overclock down by 2mhz bus & 23mhz cpu as a first step. Let's see what happens over the next few days. Thanks for all the replies, peoples.
    I did the exact same thing. No problems since.
    Core i7 920 @ 4 GHz, 1.35v
    Corsair Nautilus 500 w/DD BIX radiator swap & Apogee GTX
    Asus P6T
    6GB Corsair Dominator
    XFX GeForce GTX 285
    WD Raptor 150GB / Hitachi 1TB
    Antec P182 / PCP&C Silencer 750
    Samsung 2232GW

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.