• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Metal duct=bad news

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittlePiggie

Sparks are BAD!!!! I just touched my dryer ducting to the case and it went BZZZZZT click click BZZZZZT. Still works though and it lowered my temps by two degrees.

*edit* 2 degrees below what it was before...a 20C drop!! from 48C to 28C idle. now it's at 26C idle at stock speeds, 29C @ 1448(138 fsb 10.5 multi)*edit*

Last edited:
Um, you may want to consider using vinyl dryer hose. It's ALOT safer and should be on discount since they don't meet cosumer regulations anymore.

here's how I installed it in my rig...
0_bday_1.jpg

I will get plastic dryer hose, but all I had lying around was 10 feet of aluminum hose. it was all bent up too, so I had to un-crumple it. Ghettofabulous!!!:D

iceman2g said:
What's tha purpose of this type of modification?

Brings cold COLD air from outside directly to the hsf, allowing for a lower ambient around the hs therefore a lower cpu temp.

LittlePiggie said:

Brings cold COLD air from outside directly to the hsf, allowing for a lower ambient around the hs therefore a lower cpu temp.

when u say cold air from outside do u mean like from outside ur house or from where?....my comp i in my basement not near any windows......how effective would a really long duct be.....im all confused...i always thought ducting was simply used to channel air directly onto the hsf...i didn't realize u actually brought it in from outside ur house...btw im in Upsate New York so i might as well take advantage of the cold.

so i am supposed to take a duct...run it from my comp along the wall....up along the cieling.....and 50 feet away to a window???....and have the window open to suk in the air....and what type of fan does he use????....seems kinda rediculous to me to get low temps.....unless ur comp is next to a window all the time anyway......

dragon orb 3 said:
so i am supposed to take a duct...run it from my comp along the wall....up along the cieling.....and 50 feet away to a window???....and have the window open to suk in the air....and what type of fan does he use????....seems kinda rediculous to me to get low temps.....unless ur comp is next to a window all the time anyway......

That sounds a little too extreme:)

Probably not worth it for you.

Mine is right by a window.

Al

It simply makes it easier to bring ambient air inside and directly onto the areas you're trying to cool. Relocating your intake fans to the middle of the case will also help lower overall system noise.

When summer hits I attach a secondary duct to the air conditioning vent near my computer and wire the other end to the front intake on my case.

Heehee, all that sounds too complicated. I just have the side off mine and a board on the window where the duct isn't. I have the duct supported my a kleenex box, 4-way speaker switch, a lego wheel and a psu cover. i had to tape the end to prevent the metal from touching the screws on the hsf because it screwed up the reception on my tv monitor.

omg you peepz are extreme ducters, ducting can be reduced to make fresh air outside of the case directly to the cpu fan. Since my ambient temps are a little high here, i might try it because 1 intake fan isnt enough for an oced mobo/vidcard/cpu no matter the huge heatsinks i have

Back