• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bottom Intake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

would it be practical to add an intake fan on the bottom panel of the case? cause there are top blowholes.... couldn't we do teh same with the floor of the case? also it mgiht help cool the vid card a bit.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I've got 2 intakes in the bottom front, 1 intake in the side window roughly in the center of the case, 2 exhausts in the top back, 1 top blowhole exhaust, and then 1 exhause in the bottom of the psu (and back of the psu).
Anyway...if I put a bottom blowhole blowing directly up at the GPU HSF, do you think that'd create any airflow problems with the rest of the fans in the case?? (all 80mm btw)

just make sure theres some clearance under the PC oh and use some filters, imagine the dust!

Think i might try this one myself, instead of hackinf my front bezel to pieces

Ct. Strangelove said:
what about dust? if you are worried about it that is

I'm not to worried about it, I open up my case regularly for one reason or another so it'd be pretty easy to blow it out once in a while. Might try a light filter just for the heck of it though

yeah........ big fan=big fun mabye one of thoes comair rotrons put on half power or sumtin.... put a filter and i think that would work really well

absolutely agree ... I've been putting 2 80mm w/ fan filters in the bottom of my case for some time, but had to buy 4 additional height tab to increase the space of the case and the floor .. it was worth it though ... ian average 2 degree mobo temp down on my case .. :) ...

Xevuhtess7

or you could point that comair down and make the pc a hovercraft. they push ALOT of air man

a hovering computer, what about static electricity? Anyone got a link for that fan, the Comair? That might be pretty cool to do, have a intake in the bottom. How'd you come up with that idea?

you can get it for like 12 bucks at allelectronics.com look in their fan section. im thinking to put one on the bottom front of my case and one on the bottom mabye in the middle, im going to have a watercooling setup.

1) Dust
2) Not Enough space to suck enough air, now known as NESSEA

Ok so you put a filter on it to control the dust...
Now you have that much HARDER of a time of sucking useful air in.
Also you'll have to get in the case to clean the filter. Which as it get's dirtier just lets even LESS air into the case.

Not enough of a gain for me to even cut my case. I mean really, is it worth it cooling you nic and sound cards? you realise EDIE cables disrupt airflow... So what about a hitting afew PCI cards head on? LoL!

-Toysrme

I'm still trying to figure out how to fit a heater core into the case I'm going to be buying. The 3-window K-Flower case here. I'm going to be removing the bottom HD cage as well as the rails that it slides on to. But that's still not enough space for a D-Tek heater core. I could, I suppose, go with a Black Ice Extreme, but I'd really rather go with the D-Tek. I've come up with two possible solutions.

A) cut a hole the size of a 120 mm mesh filter in the bottom, mount the filter there, then the heater core w/shroud above that with the fan sucking air up.

B) cut a whole the size of the radiator's area in the bottom. Above it have the radiator. Have a custom shroud that goes from the top of the rad and to the two 80mm intake fans on the front of the tower and let them push air through the rad.

Pros:
A) Simpler to do. Probably cheaper. More airflow through case (not that this case needs it).
B) Probably more effective. Would look better if done right. Less dust problems. Exhausts warmed air back outside.

Cons:
A) Harder to clean filters for dust. Lose a lot of additional surface area of the rad by the small intake area (noticably smaller than the area of the rad). Doesn't look as clean, sticks about 5 inches up into the case. Air exhausted into the case has been warmed slightly by the rad.
B) Much harder to do, no clue how to build a custom shroud that would look decent, so may have to get one custom made from plexi or metal. Cuts down on airflow through the case (again, not too much of an issue with water taking the CPU heat away).

I'm still trying to figure out how to fit a heater core into the case I'm going to be buying. The 3-window K-Flower case here. I'm going to be removing the bottom HD cage as well as the rails that it slides on to. But that's still not enough space for a D-Tek heater core. I could, I suppose, go with a Black Ice Extreme, but I'd really rather go with the D-Tek. I've come up with two possible solutions.

A) cut a hole the size of a 120 mm mesh filter in the bottom, mount the filter there, then the heater core w/shroud above that with the fan sucking air up.

B) cut a whole the size of the radiator's area in the bottom. Above it have the radiator. Have a custom shroud that goes from the top of the rad and to the two 80mm intake fans on the front of the tower and let them push air through the rad.

Pros:
A) Simpler to do. Probably cheaper. More airflow through case (not that this case needs it).
B) Probably more effective. Would look better if done right. Less dust problems. Exhausts warmed air back outside.

Cons:
A) Harder to clean filters for dust. Lose a lot of additional surface area of the rad by the small intake area (noticably smaller than the area of the rad). Doesn't look as clean, sticks about 5 inches up into the case. Air exhausted into the case has been warmed slightly by the rad.
B) Much harder to do, no clue how to build a custom shroud that would look decent, so may have to get one custom made from plexi or metal. Cuts down on airflow through the case (again, not too much of an issue with water taking the CPU heat away).

Back