• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing side case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wackygore

My wife’s got a Duel-Proc box with 2x Athlon XP 1700+ which as you can imagine runs a little hot. Her system freezes up every now and then so I want to install some side fans in her case as I suspect its a heat problem. She’s got one of those really nice Lian Li aluminum cases so if I don't install them right, so that it looks nice, she just might kill me. Does anyone have a Link to a how-to guide or something telling how to cute the holes and install these things so that is will look like a professional job when I’m done?

there is the masking tape approach :rolleyes:

after you lay down the tape, trace around the fan not the grill, and use a steedy hand

Hole saw is the way to go....just make sure not to get one of those "bi-metal" ones, and cough up the money for the real thing.

I spent 30 bucks on a 3 inch holesaw, but it cut through my Antec case like butter. Decent investment I think. :D

noooo..dont use a hole saw on alum..it will chew that stuff up like no other!

use a dremel, or find a friend that has professional tools to cut alum..or you can go to directron, and buy a side panel with a window...
http://www.directron.com/modwindows.html
get one of the two at the top (i dont know what model you have, if you have the full tower, then i dont know where to get a new side panel)
i would really recommend putting a window in first, because a square window would be a whole lot easier than small round holes...
whichever way you decide to go..i recommend a dremel tool, make sure you do it a LOW SPEEDS

Hmmmmm, Now im a bit confused. I was told that a Hole Saw is the absolute eZ-ist- Way to go about cutting a blowhole.

It is the easiest way to go, but make sure you meet 3 conditions:

1. Get a fine-tooth METAL hole-saw...nothing that does wood and metal...that will rip aluminum to shreds.

2. Low speed drill....I used my roommate's 18v cordless Dewalt in the low setting....took me 3 batteries to cut the 3 blowholes, but I barely had to use a file.

3. Some sort of oil...metal against metal is a *****....something to keep the holesaw turning is a must....penetrating oil, whatever.

Trickiest part of a holesaw cut is the finish. Push too hard, and you'll get spikes and burrs sticking out that are just awful to finish.

Guess my next stop is to a hardware store. Sounds like I need a Dremal and possible a Hole-saw, though I haven’t decided yet on that.

I just used a drill and tin snips on my steel case, file off the really sharp bits and slapped on fan guards... but I wouldn't use anything but a hole saw on my next Lian Li based computer... I rather like it without holes though... If you're doing this on a dual MP board, then I would highly recommend ducting straight from the side to the processors.

Back