• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED If you own a Geforce, post here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
card name: [ GeForce FX 5700LE ]
manufacturer: [Apollo]
video ram: [128mb]
bus type: [pci]
card cooling: [stock]
voltage: [stock]
stock core/memory clock speeds: [250MHz/400MHz]
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: [378MHz/445MHz] 100% stable, but could go higher.

XFX Gefore 6600GT Power problems!

Forgive me if someone has mentioned this before, but I have been searching this forum and I can't find a thread like it. So again if i am repeating something i am sorry! :(

Ok so what might i be repeating I hear you cry. Well I have a a pair of 6600GT cards in my system. After about 6 months of owning them on gave up. XFX replaced it which was fine. When the card arrived i plugged it in, but the system didn't work. After about an hour i tracked it down it was the BIOS on the old card. I didn't realise that for SLi to work both cards must have the same BIOS version. Anyway I flashed the BIOS on the old card, system worked everything was cool.

The about 3 months after replacing the card, I kept on getting error messages telling me that the cards performance had to be reduced because of power problems. Any game I play now this message interrupts the game and that cards performance is reduced.

Any one got any ideas?

My system is as follows.

AMD 64 3500+ Winchester
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
1GB Kingston DDR
2 XFX GForce 6600GT
Tagan TU-480 PSU

When I built the system back in Feb last year, the Tagan PSU came highly recommended, at the time there were only 6 different types PSUs sold in the UK that would power an SLi system. I don't have anything unusual in my system the eats power, the only thing I do have that you might not find in a lot of PCs is TC Powercore. Its just a DSP card i use with some music software. The Powercore is only in use when I use an instrument in my sequencer. Its on the rest of the time but it isn't processing anything. The only thing that might make sense it that the BIOS I downloaded and flashed to my card had been modified.

If anyone has an clues that would be great I don't fancy replacing this PSU, its one of the quietest I have ever come across.

Many thanks! :bang head

You should actually start a new thread, this thread is for the members to submit their experiences with a geforce card as you can see in the other posts, they are submitting driver, cooling, stock clocks, overclocked clock and others.

Anyway, you shouldn't have had to flash the bios of the card, the newest driver from nVidia supports different bioses to be used when the cards are of the same series such as 6600gt with another 6600gt.

card name: [geforce 6800gs]
manufacturer: [eVGA]
video ram: [256mb]
bus type: [pci-e]
card cooling: [stock, air, ]
stock core/memory clock speeds: [425/1ghz]
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: [510/1.1ghz]

7800gtx

card name: [Geforce7800GTX]
manufacturer: [BFG Tech]
bus type: [pci-express]
stock core/memory clock speeds: [460mhz/1.3ghz]
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: [N/A]
driver version:81.98

card name: [Geforce7800GT]
manufacturer: [BFG Tech]
bus type: [pci-express x16]
stock core/memory clock speeds: [425mhz/1050ghz]
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: [450/1100]

card name: [Geforce7800GT]
manufacturer: [eVGA Tech]
bus type: [pci-express x16]
stock core/memory clock speeds: [425mhz/1070ghz]
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: [520/1220]

Still learning OC'ing but hope to get higher numbers soon. Need a good psu and a good gpu cooler.

AcidMan :welcome:

card name: [geforce 6800]
manufacturer: [PNY]
video ram: [128mb]
bus type: [agp]
card cooling: [stock, air, ]
stock core/memory clock speeds: [325/700]
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: [400/850]

card name: [geforce 6800gs]
manufacturer: [BFG]
video ram: [256 mb]
bus type: [agp]
stock core/memory clock speeds: [370/1050]
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: [435/1200]

3DM05 = 5226
3DM06 = 2428

Cheers.

card name: geforce Fx 5200
manufacturer: XFX
video ram: 256MB
bus type: AGP
card cooling: stock
voltage: stock
stock core/memory clock speeds: 275/552
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: 333/682

driver version: 83.60

card name: Geforce 7800GTX OC x2 in SLI
manufacturer: BFG Tech
video ram: 512mb DDR3 each card
card cooling: Stock HSF
stock core/memory clock speeds: 580MHz/1750MHz

Havent oc'ed these cards any more since i just got them not to long ago and havent seen a need to. becides there oc'ed allready outta the box lol

havent tested on 35mark yet since i just got my FX60 and im still wateing for my water cooling componets to get here but i have high expactations of what it will score so i hope im not disapointed in whare all my tax refund and saveings went.

Update to my original post, since I'm now running Sli.

card name: Geforce 7800GTXKO x2 Sli
manufacturer: EVGA
video ram: 256MB
bus type: PCI-express
card cooling: Dangerden Maze 4-1 peltier blocks Cooled with Koolance EXOS-2
voltage:stock
stock core/memory clock speeds: 490/1300
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: 530/1400
3Dmark:
'05- 13837
'06- 8023

In my main rig:
card name: GeForce 6800
manufacturer: eVGA
video ram: 128MB
bus type: AGP 8x
card cooling: stock HS w/ 80mm fan
stock core/memory clock speeds: 325/700
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: never tried OC'ing this card

driver version: 81.98

In my second rig:
card name: GeForce FX5700 Ultra
manufacturer: Chaintech
video ram: 128mb
bus type: AGP 8x
card cooling: Stock heatsink w/ 60mm fan
stock core/memory clock speeds: 475/906
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: never tried OC'ing

optional
driver version: 81.98

card name: Nvidia GeForce 5900XT (FX5900XT-VTD128)
manufacturer: MSI
bus type: AGP 8X
card cooling: ThermalTake Giant III (slightly modified for a perfect fit, heatpipes' T.I.M. is Arctic Silver 5.
stock core/memory clock speeds: 390/700 (Nvidia reference 5900XT) 400/700 (MSI is 10mhz higher core)
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: 504/867 (MAX)
488/855 (USUAL-For lifespan)

The 5900 Ultra is quite a bit more expensive than the 5900XT, and the stock speeds on a 5900 Ultra is 450/850, and for someone looking for a budget gfx card, I would recommend getting this card, and a $30 TT Giant 3 cooler, which is loud, but works great, I dont know if my card can beat a 5900 Ultra at the speeds that I am running at, but I know it should be close, as I have exceeded the 5900U's stock speed. Also, this is a MAXIMUM overclock, meaning that just 1 MHz more on either core or memory makes my games full of artifacts, and some wont even work. I dont know if theres anymore mods I can do to make this card faster, as I just ordered a new system monday, (A64 w/ 7800GTX wooohoooo, gotta love income tax time!) and am selling this one, so it dont matter. Just my opinion, hope it helps someone.
Also, back to those who want a budget gfx card that can overclock well, on Far Cry, the disadvantage to having an nvidia based card (5xxx series) is that pixel shader 1.0 is used instead of 2.0.. and the card can perform this game at high detail 1280X1024X32 w/ NoAA NoAF - this is overclocked, at stock speeds, the card simply cant stabilize this resolution and 1024X768 is about it.
Doom III also whoops this card's butt at stock speed, but overclocked I can run 1024X768 @ high details which look great on this game, or 1280X1024 @ medium, with just a little slower performance... I only have a 19" monitor, and I rarely use AA - I try to play all my games at 1280X1024 - which is high enough that I dont need AF, I do however try to use max AF when I can, and this card can do it in some older titles, like Call of Duty, etc. I wanna start playing in 1600X1200, hence the 7800GTX on its way :D

Last edited:
It should be around $100 now, isnt it? I only paid $140 for it back in late '04. If not, then yes the 66GT is way better, but the very first post on the thread said that they wanted us to post what our current video cards can do, as a reference, which is what I did, and getting 100+ MHz increase on the core and 150+ on the memory is an impressive overclock, so yeah, if someone sees one of these cards on eBay or something for cheap, get it.

DareDevil_747 said:
...but the very first post on the thread said that they wanted us to post what our current video cards can do, as a reference, which is what I did...

Woop, deleted my post. Yeah, I'm just ****y because I can't get my opty up to snuff and my new video card won't do what it's supposed to do. :bang head

card name: Geforce 6600GT
manufacturer: Jaton
bus type: PCI-e
card cooling: Stock upgrading to Arctic
voltage: Stock :(
stock core/memory clock speeds: 500/1000
oc'd core/memory clock speeds: 550/1050
driver version: 83.62

Back