• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best v.92 internal modem to handle OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I'm going to buy an internal v.92 modem today, but I don't want to fry it. So, what is the best brand to handle the high FSBs? As of now, I'm at 160FSB and my PCI is running about about 41MHz. So, what's the best to handle that?

And, would I have to back off the OCing when I install the modem? And then work back up to it with the modem in the computer? Or can I just leave it that high when installing it? What's best?

from what i've seen, any good, QUALITY modem will work great, but most people shun spending so much on just a modem. for instance a hardware-controller based US Robotics is going to run you around 60 bucks OEM..

i've also had good luck with 3Com modems also @ high speeds.

Have you given any thought to an external modem? They wont be affected by the overclock like an internal would, and if you ever get cable or DSL in the future and have multiple computers, you can purchase a router that supports a backup external modem.

external are expensive. i'll see what i find at bestbuy. i'm not going all out for a modem.

True. But if your shooting for one of those $20 internal modems, you know its not going to be hardware. And it'll be hit or miss as far as how much of an overclock it can take. But for the price of a good internal hardware modem, you sould be able to find a cheap external one (non-usb). It'll be hardware for sure, wont be affected by any overclock, and as I said, if you upgrade in the future, you can still use it as a backup.;)

what do you mean, the internal might not be hardware? if i see a good deal on an external (like below $50), then i'll probably go for it.

i'm pretty sure at&t supports it. i'm also 98% sure that they support v.90 and the v.92 modem is back compatable, right?

just bought a creative blaster external modem v.92. trying to get it up and working. i installed the xp driver, and now i'm putting on the ISP. and then if all goes well...

I'LL BE FOLDING BY THE END OF TONIGHT!!! :D :D

Garfield said:
what do you mean, the internal might not be hardware? if i see a good deal on an external (like below $50), then i'll probably go for it.

Most of those internal modems that dont have a hardware controller are software "win-modems". Basically, everything that would be done by the hardware chip, is instead done by your systems cpu. On a old system, it could affect system performance, but on newer systems, the cpu utilizations is next to nothing, unless of course the drivers are buggy and run like cr@p. And because most of the drivers were only available for Windoze, they could only be used in a Windoze (95 and up) system. Forget about using it with Linux or anything else, unless the manufacturer released drivers for that system.

(Sorry for the late reply, I see that you already purchased a external modem. :D )

Back