• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why such high temps...****ES ME OFF!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ne0

Registered
I am running at temps of 47ºC-50ºC on a 2100+ XP chip idle...I don't know why. I recently installed a Volcano7+ HSF on the socket and used the thermal compound that came with that. Do you think that is a problem? I also have two Antec generic 80mm fans in the front of my case and two in the back that are controled automatically by a temperature thermostat in the power supply above it. Do you think I need new fans? I used to hit 45ºC all the time with my AMD brand HSF and now this crap...I can't even overclock it. HELP!!

-John

Get some ASII, and reseat the heatsink. It's highly likely that you're not making 100% contact on your CPU die. Take the heatsink off, put on a thin smear of ASII. Put the heatsink on, and remove again. Is the thermal paste contacting the entire surface area of the die?

From the last time I saw, the die was completely covered...if I were replace the current grease with ASII, do I have to remove the old grease? If so, how would I go about this. Oh yea I also at one point put too much grease on and for some reason it seept through the chip and some of the grease part of the compound made its way to the bottom of the chit. You can see it...there is chip discoloration. I tried cleaning it out with alcohol but it still remains there. Would that affect the chip performance and cooling?

Is your chip brown or green? If its brown you will have a real hard time removing the goop completely. If its green clean it with Isopropal alcohol. When you put the ASII/III on you put a thin layer on the core! You only need a little, maybe the size of a BB. Spread it out as flat as possible and make sure you cover the core completely.

Those temps are a bit high but I think that mobo reads the onchip diode so you can subtract about 10c if it does. I would try the ASII/III and see if that helps.

Back