• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super easy method to unlock xp2400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dont do it that way what happens if you break a pin then you are royally f***ed! just connect the last L3 bridge that is really simple and takes all of 1 minute

I second Emericana too....

use a conductive pen or grease, make an U shape the on last (5th) L3 bridge. it should only take ya 60 sec

I have the rear window defogger paint I used to unlock my 1800 and I was just going to unlock the 5th L3 until I came across this article. I figured that this method would be cleaner and easier to "undo" should the need arise. I don't think it requires any amount of force or pressure on the pins, so breaking them off would take a pretty ham fisted effort....

I'll sleep on it. :)

so did it work or not? i'm planning to unlock my xp too but somehow the l-bridges connecting still sounds kinda chinese to me :D

I just posted this tonight, mon. I would have the chip in hand, but wasn't home when fedex tried to deliver today. I'll have it tomorrow, and sometime tomorrow or Thursday will take some time to unlock and overclock it. I might just use the regular old "rear window defogger" method to make a "U" around the 5th L3 instead. Hell, I have a bottle of the stuff from unlocking my 1800 so I might as well use the stuff, eh? ;)

We'll see...an update will come either way in a day.

If this method works, then it shouldnt be a big deal to do, the p4 guys have been wire wrapping pins to overvolt for a while now...and an xp provides alot more room to work with than those tiny little p4s :)

Emericana said:
dont do it that way what happens if you break a pin then you are royally f***ed! just connect the last L3 bridge that is really simple and takes all of 1 minute

BAH! Intel folks have been wrapping pins for years on their celerons for higher voltage. They even do it with the fragile-pinned northwood CPU's.
And if you do manage to break one of those two pins, there's a 50% chance that it's f***ed, and a 50% chance that you'll just never be able to unlock it again. One's a 0, the other's a 1. You turn both of them into 1's by connecting them, and thereby unlock it. If you break the 0, you'll never unlock it. If you break the 1, it's dead.

You can also connect the pins with the defogger stuff. I guess there isn't much communication between the AMD and Intel forums, because when somebody found conductive ink a couple months ago and used it to Vmod his P4, everyone ooooo'ed and aaawwww'ed over in the Intel forum. Don't laugh, because AMD people seem to be doing the same thing with that wire wrap.

will using that method damage the cpu in any way? will the wires melt when it is running (overclocked)? i think this is a nice way to unlock the cpu since its easy to remove later on (valid warranty)

They really shouldn't melt. There isn't that much current going through any given pin, or the pin would melt. Besides, it would take over 1000C to melt a copper wire. I think AMD burns under that temperature.

You could also probably use conductive ink to paint the socket between where those two pins go in, too. That method has worked for voltmodding P4's.

I've used the defogger stuff on all of my P4's and to SMP enable the XP's. I've got a 2400+ coming and I was going to use the same method to unlock it. Prettu simple cleanup if you want to return the chip - just wipe off with some acetone and they'll never know. Seems like a less risky method to me.

XP2600+ /333 is 12.5 x 166 = 2083. I wonder if the lower multiples are enabled without messing around with L3?

Simple ? Now place the processor into the Socket and boot up, if everything is working properly, you should now be able to access all the lower level multipliers like 6.5x ~ 12.5x. Well good luck and happy burning and voiding warranty :)

edit: Just received XP2600+ /333. Ran at 12.5 normal multiplier and 12.0 without touching any bridges.

Runs fine. Boots into Win2K 12.5 X 200 but crashes. Now running Seti Team Benchmark at 12.0 X 202 = 2434.

Last edited:
Tipycol said:
Still for unlocking a XP, isn't it easier to just do the L3 bridge than the wire wrap?
Probably, but the wire wrap leaves no traces. Niether does painting conductive paint on the CPU socket. And might I add that conductive paint on the CPU socket will probably be easier to do than a wire wrap OR connecting a bridge? :)

I went with the defogger paint on the L3 in the end. If I had the tools, the wire wrap would have been easier, but it kept sliding off so I gave up. :)

Henry: I definitely did test it first, and it OC'd up to mid 2200s at 1.85 without breaking a sweat. I figured that was good enough and that I would unlock to find the sweet spot with high fsb and low multi.

My problem is that now I can't post half the time with LOW multi and *LOW* FSB...It's really weird. I asked for help in another thread, so if anybody here knows what's up, please post there.

Thanks.

Back