• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Mandrake 9.0 probs - perhaps related

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonfly

1. - The Logout/shutdown button in the lower right corner has options on it's use, i.e. "Logout" or "Shutdown" etc... I click the Shutdown option, hit apply, it stays, then I close the window. When I open it back up, the option is set back to "Logout". No matter what I do, it won't save the "Shutdown" setting.

2 - After shutting down Mandrake, when the PC should auto-shut off, the hard drives click (heads parked?) but the PC doesn't shut off. I ran a copy of DemoLinux (cd only version based on Debian) and the PC shuts off just fine when shutting down from that.

I can't answer question one since I neither use mandrake, nor GNOME/KDE, but I do know the answer to question 2.

The reason why your pc won't autoshut off is because you don't have apm (or what ever the power management is called) enabled in the kernel. If power management is enabled when the computer boots you should see as one of the last things that starts upsomething called "apmd" which stands for Advanced Power Management daemon. You distro should have already included it somewhere on the installation cd, but if not just google to find it since I don't have a link.

So, you need both the kernel driver and apmd to get your computer to autoshutoff.

the second is all correct... anyways yuor first probelm im not exactly sure as im still running 8.1 but ive seen simlar errors when a program gets improperly killed and starts flooding the ram and you have to hardboot.... i notice in your sig its 512mb thats plenty and on a bp6 so i realy dont know prehaps you have something running that doesnt want to term.

The first problem is on KDE3 and it's only adjusting the SETTING of the button, not actually trying to shutdown. It never wants to keep the setting of "Shutdown". :(

As for the second, I guess the Mandrake 9 installation didn't auto sense this, so I''ll have to go in & find the power management settings.

Back