• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp2400+ .. best bang for the buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacino

The devil’s advocate
Seeing this baby doing 2.5 easily on every single review I read. Makes it the best XP chip out there right now, right? wrong? .. whatcha guys input since I'm planning to pair her with 1gig of PC3200 Corsair's + A7N8X, WC'ed .. thanks :)

you cannot do an easily 2.4, let alone 2.5, notice that ppl with watercooling got more than 2.4 out of it. mine failed in prime even at 2100 on volcano 9

You might wanna wait just a little while for better steppings... I'm kinda wishing that I had. I'm just now putting my new 2400 through some testing and it's not going very high. I'm probably going to have to give it crazy voltage to get a decent OC out fo it.

There is a thread in here of what real people are getting out of store bought processors. The reviewer's CPUs were likely hand picked before being sent out. Try doing a search for 2400 and you'll find it.

Originally posted by pacino
it will be watercooled, that's for sure... so acheiving 2.4 would be very possible .. no?

I think with the steppings out now most people, even with watercooling, have problems getting to the 2.4GHz mark. Maybe you should just wait a while, plus the XP 1800 Tbred B (not sure when it'll be out though) is supposed to be the same core as the XP 2400, so that might be the best bang for the buck when it comes out.

I would have to recommend getting a 2400+ only if you can get the AIUGB stepping. This one seems to be the best overclocker at the moment with people on Prommy's getting 2.7ghz. Although they may come out with another stepping between now and december who knows :)

I believe the AIUGB are mostly week 42 and later from what i have seen on various forums.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00163/
and
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135209&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

will show you what people are getting. Mine is an AIUCB. It seems to be stable at 147x15 and 1.85v Decent...I'm not sure how high I wanna push the vcore to hit 2300 mhz. After a little testing at this speed, I'll pop it back out (now that I know it's functional) and unlock it so I can run at 11x200. I might see if I can get it to 2300 mhz with 1.95vcore after I've burned the chip in for a week or so.

pacino said:
it will be watercooled, that's for sure... so acheiving 2.4 would be very possible .. no?

From the results that we have seen so far it doesn't seem like 2.4 GHz will be too easy. If you can give it enough vcore then its possible but it seems like most people with watercooling are getting in the neighborhood of 2.3 GHz. This chip definitely doesn't have the overclocking potential we originally thought.:(

AIUGB im pretty sure is the best tbred rev.b stepping as of now (correct me if im wrong)...The 2700's use that stepping. Drop more cash for better stepping....or search for a 2400 with AIUGB stepping.

I have the slk-800 with a tornado fan on it.My max temp is never above 115f(mobo reading) and that is when the room is hot.

Back