• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Catalyst 2.4 Released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

Various fixes and speed improvments, also finally adds a refresh rate fix for Directx! OpenGL refresh fix will be in next driver release they say. Head over to ATI's site and pick them up, I'll post some results later tonight if I get a chance!

http://www.ati.com/

-Rav

yeah this is the leaked drivers i posted about last week this is 6200c which means it may be slightly modified from the leaked 6200

I hope this one works the leaked one screwed up my system.Gah must get home!

and people say Ati doesnt make enough drivers.....how about two drivers in two days lol .....ill tell you how they work soon :)

rb26dett said:
All my games dropped 30+ FPS, 3Dmark2001 went from 14000+ to 13735, bah .. I reinatlled the old ones (6193)

i believe you had some settings or something fluky with your install then... 30+ drop in fps is insane at the same settings...

Mr. Chambers said:

i believe you had some settings or something fluky with your install then... 30+ drop in fps is insane at the same settings...

my settings are fine , those drivers are lame.
I reinstalled my old ones and went back to 14000+ and my fps are back :)

I did get some improvement in performance. IQ seems excellent as always, perhaps better. However I was pretty upset to find that the Refresh fix didn't work at all. Vsync doesn't seem to work all the time either (Directx). Looks like I still have to use 3rd party tools.

-Rav

The 2.4 Catalyst drivers seemed to have raised the performance I get.

Only problem I see is the same problem I've had from the beginning when I first bought my 8500, during the fill rate test on 3dmark....I get split second "pauses" where the textures just stop moving..then start again....seems like it's not a driver issue, but a problem somewhere in my system...I see the same "pauses" during some games as well...( possibly due to the fact that My MSI 845E MAX2 BLR board won't allow me to adjust the AGP aperature size and has locked it at 64Mb....actually..all the software I have used reports the AGP aperature at 55Mb...when it SHOULD be 128Mb )

Other than that, ATI has got their act together as far as drivers, and if your seeing a huge performance drop just by changing drivers, ( like the loss of 30+ FPS ) then something with the install went wrong, or some sort of corruption took place...( like within the registry...a file..ETC...ETC...)

My 3dmark score went up a couple hundred points, the drivers seem good. Did anyone check out the new options in the control panel though? You can enable fast writes and change your AGP interface (AGP 2x, 4x, 1x) right from the control panel...of course I tried to enable fast writes and it didnt work but I think thats because I have an 8500dv.

I use refresh force so I dont know if the refresh rate fix worked or not.

I wasn't able to set fast writes on my 9700 Pro. From what I've read it doesn't make a difference though.

-Rav

Rav said:
I did get some improvement in performance. IQ seems excellent as always, perhaps better. However I was pretty upset to find that the Refresh fix didn't work at all. Vsync doesn't seem to work all the time either (Directx). Looks like I still have to use 3rd party tools.

-Rav

What 3rd party tools do you prefer?

What you need to do is get the DirectX9 release candidate (beta) and the dx9 radeon drivers. ATI's got about 4 demos for it, and they are pretty cool. (Oh yeah, you need a 9700pro, I think the other 9xxx cards would work too, they're dx9 ready)

Remeber that picture showing off what the 9700 could do? The one with the reflective spheres and stuff? Well that's what one of the demos is and its absolutely amazing.

I use a program called RefreshFix that make it so only certain modes are available. For example, instead of 1280x1204 with 60Hz-85Hz, I set it so only 85Hz is available, so it always defaults to that instead of 60hz. I used to use RefreshLock which runs in systray, but that doesn't work with all games (MW4). Has the ATI refresh override worked for anyone here?

-Rav

Back