• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

northbridge fan decrease CPU temp 4C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lebe0024

I have a watercooler (gemini block), and my load temps are at 41. I have a big passively cool NB. When I put a low low low -speed fan on it, my CPU temp dropped to 36-37! HOLY CRAP!

the northbridge fan might have helped the cpu push the heat away from it. in my case, it hasnt helped a bit. lucky you :D

Here's what I did:

I have the zalman northbridge heatsink (the gold one, it's called NB32J or something). Then, I vertically sat an 80mm enermax temperature controlled fan on my video card, aimed at the NB. This fan is REALLY low rpm, lower than the panaflo L1A's even. This fan blew air horizontally onto the nb and the area below the north bridge, but not really on the cpu area at all. Anyway, it lowered my CPU temp 4C.

My mobo is the KT3 ULTRA2
CPU: see sig
gemini high flow block/ via aqua 1300/ external heatercore.

wow, I'm embarrased. I used to show my CPU temp and system temp in my systray with MBM. Well, a couple of months ago, I decided I didn't need my system temp anymore, so I decided to just show my CPU temp. Well, I must have put the settings wrong, because I've been reading my system temp this whole time!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SOMEONE SHOOT ME. Wow, I thought I was actually getting good temps. Oh well. Well, now that I'm getting my correct readings, it did drop it a degree... maybe.

Well.. this brings good news anyway! It is true that the temps I was reporting before were only my system temps, but the little fan dropped them all the way to 32! woo hoo. BUT, the best news is that my CPU runs full load at 39! not 41 which I previously thought (but which was in fact only a hot system temp!) I hope that makes sense.

Back