• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home made vacuum chamber

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rakk

I was just thinking - You could probably make a homemade vacuum chamber using a household vacuum cleaner, some thick rubber gloves, a fish tank, some duck tape, some thick plastic sheeting and a small plastic disc:

1) Get the tank, clean it out (very, very thoroughly)
2) Cut some plastic sheeting to the shape of the top of the tank + a bit extra around the edge for fitting
3) Cut 2 holes in the sheet for the gloves and one hole for the vacuum cleaner suction tube
4) Put the items you want to work on inside the tank along with the tools & things you might need. Also put the plastic disc somewhere inside along with teh duck tape
5) Tape the sheet around the sides and tape the glove edges and suction tube so that they are all well sealed but stick through into the tank
6) Switch the vacuum cleaner on
7) When you think you've got a good vacuum in there place your hands in the gloves, put the plastic disc over the vacuum cleaner tube and tape it up.
8) swicth the vacuum cleaner off & start work :)

Ok, so it's not going to be an absolute perfect vacuum enviroment but it'd probably do the job for a hard drive mod. Just make sure you don't put any small loose parts in at the start or they're going straight up that vacuum cleaner tube hehe.

I've just realised, you'd need some pretty thick gloves or else getting your fingers inside is going to be a frustrating excercise :) Elbow length gardening type gloves are what's required methinks.

but the only thing is, a vacumn cleaner isnt that powerful. it probably wouldnt create much of a vacumn

Hmm, well my vacuum cleaner is of the uber Dyson variety so I think it'd be powerful enough. Also, i'm talking about quite a small tank - say 2ft x 1ft

well see if u put negative pressure on the gloves inside the chamber they will inflate like a set of balloons... sorry mate... rubber gloves wont work in a vaccum chamber

well see if u put negative pressure on the gloves inside the chamber they will inflate like a set of balloons... sorry mate... rubber gloves wont work in a vaccum chamber

LOL yeah you're right. Didn't think of that - duh!

nm, what this bathroom technique all abou then? (no jokes please :p)

HEPA filtration ?

Has anyone tried HEPA filtration tanks? Such a system would give you a dust-free environment to work in and you could make a small glovebox quite cheaply yourself.

Check out this homemade box.

I know that platter oxidation can be an issue with HD modding, but surely if you work quickly and efficiently you can engineer the risk to a minimum level.

The top picture on that glove box page is kinda how I imagined this vacuum chamber to look.

You could maybe do it using HEPA filtration though, hmmm.

In order to reduce pressure down to zero you'll need a strong pump, not just a fan.

A piston pump is the simplest and most effective way to create a vacuum.

And then you're looking at major expense unless you happen to find a surplus pump or somesuch.

The bathroom idea is turing on a hot shower and closing the door until the room is really steamy. When the water condenses it will take all the dust particles, etc. out of the air. Wait until the humidity return to an acceptable level though. :)

also you would just burn you vacuum cleaner out with the initial idea, they dont like complete suction !

Well, no you wouldn't because as soon as you've created the vacuum and sealed the cleaner tube you'd switch the cleaner off.

The bathroom idea is turing on a hot shower and closing the door until the room is really steamy. When the water condenses it will take all the dust particles, etc. out of the air. Wait until the humidity return to an acceptable level though.

Interesting idea. I guess you only have a relatively small window of time in which to work since as soon as the humidity reaches acceptable levels dust will start to circulate again although obviously less dust than before.

Oh and if you have vent in your bathroom, cover that.

A small window of time? Well yeah. It isn't going to be sterile for weeks. However, it is plenty of time to remove a hard drive cover and put plastic wrap on it. :)

Back