• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows98 registry errors :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninthebin

I have tried 3 different copies...yet everytime I boot to the os it says that there is a registry error and that it needs to reboot...it will then proceed to reboot and "fix" the registry, yet everytime it comes back on it does the same thing...

I put XP on and it works fine...but I NEED 98 otherwise I cant install any drivers for the onboard crap...

I would low level format that drive.Maybe the boot sector for the 9X system is corrupted ................

Or buy a soundcard :) then install XP.
98 never worked for me; but XP rocks!!:D
btw, any soundcard w/ CMI8738 6 ch output is only about $13 shipped and it is similar quality to Hercules Gamesurround Muse 5.1 DVD (coz' hercules uses exact same chip for it).

I've had that problem with 98 before, but only when I was overclocked too far.
If you haven't allready, I'd try running everything at default speeds, and the Failsafe settings in the BIOS.

Well I at first had lots of problems with Windows98 but I got good at keeping it alive. Now that I have XP I never have to worry about it, WindowsXP takes care of itself nicely. If you have more than 128MB of RAM than install WindowsXP.

Before doing anything drastic, download RegClean.

If that doesn't work you can boot to DOS and run The Setup from the Win98SE CD again and it will regurgitate your entire registry.

And further yet. If that doesn't work you'll need to back up all important files and install after formatting the drive. That will make a huge difference in performance as well.
I reinstall 98SE once a year.

I REALLY don't like XP...

well the plot thickens...the system clock was fine, I even underclocked at one point - no go

it is something that is initialised in normal mode that isnt in safe mode that causes it...

but I just tried it on an older system ALL three copies of 98 have problems installing, yet 95 went on fine - and upgrade from 95 meets with "improper version" so thats all not fun

and about formatting - I have done that so many times with this piece of junk :( them 98s arent cancerous cos I took one home with me and just tried on an old harddrive in this system and its fine :S

both systems install other operating systems properly....it is only 98 that has problems with these computers, the voltages are fine...

the first pc still persists to give corrupt registry errors, boots fine into safe mode and can be used in normal mode but with big error window that cant be removed without restart...

second pc cant boot at all into either normal or safe mode as it gives a incompatibility error with dos - and I have tried things from the microsoft support center but they dont work

Check your RAM.. I had that problem with installing 98 on my machine one time. It would install fine, but then I would have problems with the registry and problems installing drivers..

I would almost lay money on a bad ram stick..

I still say a LOW level format is worth doing.Because it will write zeros to the Entire drive wipping out any and all past data.

When you do a basic format/c you do not wipe the master boot record.So having a perfectly clean drive would be my first priority and seeing as it appears you have formatted and tried to reinstall a few times ? Well I would wipe my drive and start clean.

Sure sounds like something (one of your cards) isn't compatible with 98. If it's 98 first edition, it could be as simple as disabling USB in bios.

Could be any nifty new peice of hardware trying to initialize. I'm only thinking this because you say it'll boot into safe mode. The USB is an off chance, but I bet exists in all your PCs.

Back