• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When should I raise the core voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
seal said:
will lower temps alone help stability?
Yes.

DaBigJ: Put some thermal compound between your CPU and HSF. Your other OC'ed machine doesn't have a problem because it's running less than half the speed of your AMD machine. Heat output is affected by both voltage and clock speed. Increase either and your temperatures go up.

DaBigJ first thing WELCOME to the FORUMS
Now where do you live? IS getting thermal compound a problem? If not there is no reason to not have it. I think the Volcano 6cu comes with a thermal pad. You are using that right?
Cooling is part of the backbone of overclocking. Along with a good PSU and a good stepping CPU. That 1900 may be at its limit. What is the stepping? My locked 1700 agoga wont go past 146fsb and remain stable with good cooling.

BTW Yodums I'm dissappointed you did not welcome DaBigJ into the forums. :D

You all seem to assume that I am not planning on getting AS3 or better cooling. My question was at what point do you think I would need to raise the core voltage? Could someone just answer the question instead of telling me that I'm a crazy lunatic?

edit: The Volcano 6cu came with a thermal pad. I took it off because I thought I got some thermal paste (which turned out to be thermal adhesive). But apparently the thermal pad wasn't doing any good because my temperatures aren't any higher without it.

DaBigJ said:
No the Athlon XP is not unlocked. I may never unlock it because I prefer to raise the whole system speed.

uh. you mean whole system stress, don't you? :( Raising the FSB to very high levels (200+) can really hurt stability, and can even damage PCI cards and harddrives. It's best to unlock, as it insures a more controlable, and more stable, OC

you want to raise the voltage when you get system hangs while overclocking. If it hangs in bios, definately a boost, if it hangs in windows, u might wanna try different ram settings. But you only really up the vcore when ur computer is hanging from an o/c (not enough power for the chip to run that fast). that help?

you want to raise the voltage when you get system hangs while overclocking. If it hangs in bios, definately a boost, if it hangs in windows, u might wanna try different ram settings. But you only really up the vcore when ur computer is hanging from an o/c (not enough power for the chip to run that fast). that help?
Thank you obliv. You are the only person so far who has responded with a real answer to my question.

uh. you mean whole system stress, don't you? Raising the FSB to very high levels (200+) can really hurt stability, and can even damage PCI cards and harddrives. It's best to unlock, as it insures a more controlable, and more stable, OC
The only reason I would unlock my cpu (yes, I probably will end up doing this after all) would be if my system can't handle increased fsb speeds. I am not worried about high pci speeds because a 1/5 multiplier kicks in to reduce pci to 33 mhz before it gets dangerously high, or when my fsb hits 166 mhz. The bios will not go any higher than 166 fsb.

Hey obliv what would u do in my case
got 1800+ locked on a MSI KT266A
without unlocking what would u do?
i can't get past post if i pass 140fsb
but 140 runs just fine (1900+)
temps are not a problem 29 / 28 idle a lil more loaded
my multi is default @ 11.5 and vcore is default also 1.71 to 1.73 i think acording to pc alert III
any suggestions?

Most XP's run at 1.77-1.81V stock depending on the motherboard's setup... If you're at 1.73V then I'd say you're at the absolute limit. Try 1.82-1.85V and you'll probably be able to push it much further... If you have an unstable system and the temps are great, or acceptable then it's probably voltage holding you back. I would'nt dump more than 1.9V into an air cooled system though... even that's a bit much... Water/TEC/Phase change cooling will probably support 2-2.1V though...

Unlocking my chip (partial success) gave me a higher FSB and Clock speed... I seem to hit a wall at 186 FSB though... perhaps that's a voltage problem too.

now thats a answer!!!!!!
much gratefull
will try that :)
kinda used to clear my cmos by now anyway
didn't know the vcores's were so much higher then mine

don't know what stepping mine is but i know i bought it soon as it came out

my palomino is probably a knock off :D

thanks
later...

posted by ChillPhatCat:
Most XP's run at 1.77-1.81V stock depending on the motherboard's setup... If you're at 1.73V then I'd say you're at the absolute limit. Try 1.82-1.85V and you'll probably be able to push it much further...
So depending on the mobo your "stock" voltage may vary? What do you mean exactly by "motherboard's setup"?

Actually, this is true. Different mobo's may implement the standards differently. You'd be amazed ....

For example, I just got my PIII-S. It's supposed to run at 1.45V. However, when set to default voltages, my mobo, according to the BIOS and sandra, only supplies 1.42V. When I manually set it to 1.45V, it gives it 1.48V, and when I try 1.425V, it gives it 1.7V. (All reported voltages.) When I set it to 1.4V, it gives it 1.42V, just as in the default configuration. Since the board is 100% stable, I'm guessing that it's a combination of the board supplying too little voltage and the sensors under-reporting those voltages. This is all on a Shuttle AE25.

Now, I got the CPU from deez, and on his board (Asus TUSLC2, if I remember correctly), it always reported as 1.45V. So there's an identical CPU on two boards with the same chipset, showing different voltages ....

Strange, eh?

-- Paul

Yeah, strange. Also interesting. So the quality of a PSU cannot be determined by voltage readouts from the mobo, eh?

lol--I said "eh" also... didn't realize it.

Guess not. (At least not entirely.) You can guage relative performance (one PSU vs. another on the same mobo), but otherwise, I would say a multimeter is the only way to get an accurate reading.

Some mobo makers are better than others. (In my case, apparently Asus.) If one maker has a particularly good reputation for accurate readings, then I suppose you could trust them. Otherwise, I would use the onboard readings for relative comparisons.

Alas, I don't have the "guts" to splice into my ATX cables and read my voltages, nor to find the proper contacs on teh mobo to read the core voltage, so I guess I'm stuck from here ....

Later! -- Paul

DaBigJ said:
posted by ChillPhatCat:

So depending on the mobo your "stock" voltage may vary? What do you mean exactly by "motherboard's setup"?

I'll answer this question using my own experience, my celery box's Mobo won't let me chose a voltage, instead the manufacturer claims that it will suck up as much as it needs.

My Gigabyte Mobo doesn't let me select a voltage either, but it's better about it, I can tell it to run a certain % above spec if it needs to... basically meaning it will always run at that % over spec... so if I say 5%, then my 1.82 default turns into 1.95V, 7.5% gives me 2.0V and 10% gives me 2.05V I have it at "stock voltage right now and according to sandra it runs at 1.79-1.82V.

Back