• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When should I raise the core voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaBigJ

I have an Athlon XP 1900+ (that's 1600 mhz). It gets unstable when I go over 144 fsb with stock voltage (1728 mhz). My temps are 47C idle ~56C load with a Volcano 6cu/NO thermal paste :p (for now). My question is at what point should I need to raise the core voltage? Right about now? Also, are my temps reasonable, considering my mobo is, I think, reading the temps from the thermal diode on the chip?

I really suggest you don't push it anymore than what you have already. Those are bad temps, and more voltage would make them shoot up even higher. Invest in a good HSF before you OC more.

I agree with Fever your voltage isn't holding you back , those temps are, get the temps down( Better Hsf, or watercooling) and you may not need more voltage to get things stable.

mamer

DaBigJ said:
I have an Athlon XP 1900+ (that's 1600 mhz). It gets unstable when I go over 144 fsb with stock voltage (1728 mhz). My temps are 47C idle ~56C load with a Volcano 6cu/NO thermal paste :p (for now). My question is at what point should I need to raise the core voltage? Right about now? Also, are my temps reasonable, considering my mobo is, I think, reading the temps from the thermal diode on the chip?

uh woah. those temps are crap. my o/ced 2200 gets better themps than that :( Anyways, dont touch the voltage. leave it at stock until you get some thermal paste on there! Lordy, i didn't know anyone would run a CPU w/o some AS2/3 on there :eek:

raising voltage will only help stabilize an overclocked chip, and it will also raise temps. keep your voltage stock until you get some AS3 on there!

Yup_ your problem is temp related more than anything else right now.

Thermal paste is the first priority:)

Even the white silicon gunk at Radio Shack is better than nothing!

I have run quite a few machines at high voltages using both water and air-cooling, and none of them were above 45c load temp (in socket thermistor reading.)

Your problem is definitely thermal paste. Go out and get yourself a tube of Arctic Silver 3 and you'll see a huge drop in temperatures. Go crazy on cooling but don't buy thermal paste and that would be a waste since nothing is going to transfer the heat from the core to the heatsink. Don't wait now, that 5-6 bucks spent on a tube of AS3 may save you a burnt chip.

Yodums

Right, mate dont worry about your temps honestly!

these guys like to keep their stuff cold but 47*C really isnt that bad!! you've got a good heatsink and good contact with the core of the cpu, but any higher and it will go unstable, so dont go playing unreal tounament deathmatches just yet!!

You will wanna get som arctic silver 3 for you chip tho!! it helps a lot with the temperatures!

Next if youre serious about overclocking you'll wanna get a better heatsink and a load of case fans, cause airs a good thing! :D Once you've got that you'll wanna try overclocking again.

Cause then you can start to find out what it is that making your system crash! remember theres a lot of things that could make it crash!

I've only been playing with my computers for a few months, but its proving to be VERY fun! something for me to f*uk about with when im not stoned! oops! should i say that? oh nevermind!

Anyway, what i wanna say, dont start pumping voltages untill you've got everything ready! you wanna keep those temps bellow 45*C at all times to be comfortable (i dont run my cpu at 45 tho, more like 52load, but that cause i have a very quiet pc!, if i switch on some more fans it'll be a lot cooler, but a lot noisier!

So just trust me you dont wanna fry your cpu! broke 2!!!! since i got my system set up!!!!!!! one 1900xp, and one 1600xp!!!! mainly due to my stupidity but still...

Enjoy messing about with your computer!!!

Willem. :cool:

^^ do not listen to above. the 6 bucks and 10 minutes to apply AS3 will save you in the long run. it's wreckless and a little bit stupid to even start a CPU without thermal grease IMO, much less keep it running for an extended period of time. (says the guy running 51c idle)

DaBigJ says hes running 47*C idle, which is well below recomended AMD temperatures!!! (over 85*C) my mom's Duron at home runs at something like 56*C and its perfectly happy!

I ADVISE him to use arcic silver as soon as possible!

As i said:
You will wanna get som arctic silver 3 for you chip tho!! it helps a lot with the temperatures!

Namagomi man, you gotta read all everybody writes! Your making me look bad man!! ;) :D

Willem :D

Is it unlocked?
i got the oposite prob :p
i got 28c\26c but can't get my 1800+ to be stable even @ 140fsb
Mine is locked , and since this rig is for a server in 2k3 i'm not going to unlock it
the thing is i see alot of ppl claimming high fsb's (locked) and i can't do it
any sugestions? multi\fsb\vcore?
see sig for specs
all help welcomed:)

Increasing my fsb from 133 to 140 does NOT increase my temperatures in the slightest. So my problem is temperature?

Last edited:
villham308 said:
Namagomi man, you gotta read all everybody writes! Your making me look bad man!! ;) :D

Bah, i just need to read every other sentance. :D But really, running without any thermal paste is like, not even an option. With the huge temp drops you can get from using it, there is no reason not to.

I have not had a problem with heat on the other computer I have overclocked either. It is a 600 mhz emachine @750 mhz with stock cooling. It is limited by the voltage and NOT high temperatures. Unfortunately I have no way of increasing the core voltage on it's mobo.

No the Athlon XP is not unlocked. I may never unlock it because I prefer to raise the whole system speed.

then ur problem has just been answered :)
the diference between locked and unlocked ii the diference in limitations.
i personally think ur @ ur limit (locked)
try active cooling on ur mobo chipset but ur asking for to much
my tops is 144 but i can only run 3dmark 70%
i'm sure u can tweak it some what but....
u should drop ur tools and be happy
or pick up the tools and unlock it
i'll be around
:)

At my limit? 144 fsb is only 1728 mhz on the cpu. That's a 128 mhz increase over stock, or a mere 8%. No, I'm sure it can go higher.

i respect ur will power :)
good luck
i'll keep a eye on this thread :)
i got the same specs more or less :p

Back