• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pots on Sparkle 400 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
I was cleaning out the dust bunnies from my main rig and decided to open the psu and blow it out. I noticed the pots right away and have always been a bit dissapointed bt the 12v and 5v readings in MBM. So I broke out the multi meter and started to adjust to up the voltage and with a new digital meter I cant get the 12v above 11.6 because the psu shuts down. The 5v will go over 6 v. When I check the v w/ a old analog meter the 12v is at 12. So I guess my question is WTF? I tried the digital multi on 2 other psu and got readings of 11.97 on a 300w ever and 12.11 on a 400w compusa so I dont think its the multimeter. Hope this makes sense to you guys. If not ask for clearification and I'll do the best I can.

BTW I havent had any problems running my 1700 @1607 1.8vcore for the last 2 months.

What kind of loads are you using while adjusting the voltages? I have a PSU that won't go above 11.4V if the +5V and +3.3V aren't loaded down enough, and even with a 466 MHz Celeron it won't go above 11.8V. On one PSU, either the +5V or +12V will go way high when turned off, like +18V, if there's no load. I was told that the factory sets the voltages with heavy loads connected, and then the voltages are tested at light and full load.

I had zero load during testing. I suppose I could hook up several fans for a 12v load. I have a 120 and lots of 80's. As for 5v the psu is not in a case and I dont have a mobo thats not in a case to test on the bench yet. I bought a K7S5A here in the classifieds the other day and it should be here soon. I can wait until then to test with a 5v load. Thanks for the response and I'll try it with a load. I'll post back with the results.

I think it's a bad idea to adjust the voltages without a realistic load because voltages from a switching PSU can rise with the load, up to a point, and I once had the +5.0V exceed +5.5V, even though it wasn't supposed to go above 5.25%. The overvoltage protection circuit doesn't usually kick in until the voltage goes really high, like >6V for the +5.0V line and >4V for the +3.3V.

I don't think that a few fans will provide anything close to a realistic load, and I would rather load each output to half its rated max with jumbo resistors.

I'm not that knowledgeable about risistors and such. Do you know of a site that has a guide to doing this kind of adjustment? I will be using a mobo w/ a duron 1.2, 6.4 5400 hdd, gf2mx 64mg, 256 pc 2100 and a DVD-Rom (my test bench setup). Will that be a sufficient(sp) load?

well....... chances are if you tweak it wrond while connected you will loose something~ but all of my sparkels and my friends have ALWAYS been low on the 12v side~! like 11.91 is what i have now......

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I sure dont want to fry anything. It seems strange though that the 12v is 11.6 at best with a multimeter. The way I read it you think I should'nt do any adjusting while hooked to a mobo. DO you know of any other way to but a load on a psu?

Back