• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quad bank memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

has anyone heard of this new technology? i read a little about it and they said it will be better than ddr-II..not sure though..

Did a google search on it and the second hit is for the QBM alliance: www.quadbandmemory.com.

It looks like they're basically doing the same thing on a memory bus as the current P4 front side bus. They transfer 4-bits per clock cycle as opposed to 1 in sdram or 2 in ddr-sdram (I could give technical details, but you can find those at the site above).

It sounds good, but I don't know if it will be as reliable as they say it will. According to their faq, the first chipsets that support it will be delivered by SiS and VIA -- and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes them a couple tries to get it right.

its cos its dual channel ddr aint it?

it cant be QDR cos it doesnt technically do 4 instructions per clock...but rather QBM cos in a way it is :D

ninthebin said:
its cos its dual channel ddr aint it?

it cant be QDR cos it doesnt technically do 4 instructions per clock...but rather QBM cos in a way it is :D

No dual channel is 4-bank memory. It's 128-bits wide, while single channel is 64, but runs at the same speed and thus is twice as fast.

QBM looks like it really does transfer 4 bits per clock along a 64 bit bus. I suppose they could have called it 'QDR'. But since the mechanism is a little different than DDR maybe they figured QBM is a better name.

Back