• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yikes!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBFoxbat

Registered
I got a new LCD thermal probe so I set off to monitor my GPU. I'm running a Gf2 MX 64 mb. I opened the side of my case to install the temp probe. Guess what I found... The heatsink hanging from 1 of 2 pins that holds it to the card. Great huh? Well I fixed it after some work. I put some artic silver 3 on it (the stock thermal compound looked like my 11 year old sister put it on) Well I've seen Gf2's w/o heatsinks.....with heatsinks.....with heatsinks and fans...with water blocks.... well I bought a mini-orb for my northbridge and I need to run back to the store to return a cathode, so i'm going to pick up a new HSF. But I'm just wondering how hot is too hot for a GPU? It runs as hot as 125 deg F w/o any stability issues....but that scares me..... I know I get pretty scared when my CPU gets that hot. I have 5 case fans and it ran at 125 under load w/o the fans on..... when I flip my toggle...and the fans turn on, it usually drops all internal temps 15-25 deg. Normally I only turn the fans on when I'm doind CPU intensive stuff...like games....is it ok to run the CPU at 100 under full load? how about 125 when surfing the web? Please comment...should I be even more scared?

get an slk-800 combined with an 84 cfm sunon..that will keep your cpu cool..and on the GPU, get a crystal orb with some AS3..that will make it run nice and cool

100F = 37.78C = a terrific CPU temperature under full load. Really, anything in the mid-to-low 40's and below under load is great. In fact, your temps are low enough that you might want to look at reducing the amount of cooling you have so that you can get a better balance of noise and cooling. (It seems like overkill to me.)

As for the GPU, I'm not sure what "appropriate" temps are, but as GPU's are made with a larger process than CPU's (typically .18u or above for a GPU), they can tolerate more heat than CPU's. Again 120F = 48.9F which is probably just fine for a GPU.

As a point of future reference, just about all computer temp measurements and comparisons are done in celcius. (Just look at AMD's and Intel's sites, for example.) It might be a good practice to get in the habit of reading your CPU temps et. al in C rather than F, especially as it will make it easier for others in the forums to talk with you about them.

I hope some of this helps! -- Paul

macklin01 said:
As a point of future reference, just about all computer temp measurements and comparisons are done in celcius. (Just look at AMD's and Intel's sites, for example.) It might be a good practice to get in the habit of reading your CPU temps et. al in C rather than F, especially as it will make it easier for others in the forums to talk with you about them.

I hope some of this helps! -- Paul

You're right, I usually use celcius, a habbit I picked up from chemistry class. My new LCD readouts are in F though, sorry for the confusion

No problem. What kind of LCD hardware do you have? Sounds pretty nice! :)

It's funny -- I lived in Germany for several months, but I never got quite as good a feel for C until overclocking! ;) Chemistry sounds like another good place to learn it ...

But once again, I think your temperatures are just fine, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Glad you caught your hanging GF2 heatsink!

TTYL! -- Paul

Back