• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3M thermal tape for mem sinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this stuff. I have two pads left over from an upgrade to a clien't computer. Their heatsink's fan on the vid card seized, so I went out and got a chipset cooer and fan to replace it, but I used AS3 instead of the thermal paste or the pads that came with the kit. I'm asking be cause I feel basically motivated enough run into the garage and make myself some memsinks, but not motivated enough to go to out and get some Arctic Alumina adhesive. I don't wanna risk shorting the memory on the card by using my AS thermal epoxy. Any comments?

I use "Elmers Glue" in the corners.
That way if for some reason I need to RMA the vid card I can remove my ram sinks.

:)

Well that's the thing. It's only an MX-400, and I don't think that cooling the ram is going to get me any further on the OC. It's more because I'm bored and I don't feel like gaming or doing any sort of work right now. Warranty on the card expired 2 months ago, but I really hate frying perfectly good hardware. On the other hand the tape is removeable, and I could alway epoxy the memsinks if they give me any performance gain.
That way if for some reason I need to RMA the vid card I can remove my ram sinks.
That's highly un-ethical, and frown upon by many of us here in the forums.

HELLO *knocks on fore head* :bang head

quote:
That way if for SOME reason I need to RMA the vid card I can remove my ram sinks.
------------------------------------------
That's highly un-ethical, and frown upon by many of us here in the forums.

By adding ram sinks to a vid card alone does not / is not unethical.

If I frag it by shorting it out. THEN try returning it, IS !

I've had ram sinks on vid cards with nothing else done to the card before. Then the stupid thing dies for no reason.
NO REASON AT ALL. Not overclocked, nothing.

And by adding ram sinks I am unethical???

(I like you, ur funny)

Check my sig plz.

:cool:

could always use artic alumina epoxy, but i take it that you're just bored, so you might not want to go out and buy something.

CrystalMethod said:
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this stuff. I have two pads left over from an upgrade to a clien't computer. Their heatsink's fan on the vid card seized, so I went out and got a chipset cooer and fan to replace it, but I used AS3 instead of the thermal paste or the pads that came with the kit. I'm asking be cause I feel basically motivated enough run into the garage and make myself some memsinks, but not motivated enough to go to out and get some Arctic Alumina adhesive. I don't wanna risk shorting the memory on the card by using my AS thermal epoxy. Any comments?

I've had some of that.. ordered it, because of the very same reason, to add sinks to the ram modules on a gf2mx400... first off, it was very poor at glueing, and annoying to handle.

after one sink kept falling off, I went for some arctic alumina adhesive... silver seemed a bit overkill for ramsinks..

Sooo.. I'd say, drop the 3M... not worth it.

Cheers, Flixotide

Back