• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF1942 Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Namagomi

Disabled
Ok, so SpaceRangerJoe and I are tossing around the idea of making a BF1942 server. We're looking for something that could support a large number of players, like >32. We're trying to use as many surplus parts (i.e. - stuff we have lying around) as possible. So far, we're looking at:

900mhz Slot A Tbird
512mb RAM min.
Matrox G550 video card

Would it be worth it to get an old P3 SMP board and/or an SCSI array? Do any P3 SMP boards fit in an ATX case? Does anyone know how much RAM a bf1942 server would need to support a 40+ people? Thanks!

P3 SMP board will definited fit in an ATX case, to serve 40+ people, I think you should get at least 1Gig RAM, very high upload speed, everything else is not very important:)

THE most important thing is going to be having a high upload speed... greater than 768kbps, and above that would be alot better of course... i'd say at least 768mb of ram, and 900mhz should suffice just fine, although as always more is better...

i dont think it'd be worth it to go scsi array on the disks... that can get very expensive and i dont think the performance increase would be worth it...

mainly the consistant highspeed upload is the hardest thing to come by... you'd almost certainly have to go with DSL or maybe even T1 for that many people games.... hope you have $$$!

i have 100baset in my room, with a fiber uplink to the school backbone, which i think is oc12. i run a 28 person bf1942 server while i play, on my rig (see sig), and its flawless. 32person gets a little jerky. i dont know if were gonna leave the server up all the time. were having a big lan over thanksgiving break, and we want to make sure we can support everyone that comes :D

SpaceRangerJoe said:
were having a big lan over thanksgiving break, and we want to make sure we can support everyone that comes :D

not just any LAN party. JAMESCON 2K2!! you best recognize.

hey, you fixed my ti200 that you broke yet?

besides, with the two slot a boxes i'm gonna throw together (check sig) next wednesdy, we'll be golden.

and yeah, i took a peek on ebay and pricewatch to see what p3 prices are. all i have to say is - "total dilusional pricing" 210 for a p3? Yeah, i'll take a XP2400+ and some change ktnxbye

i have not yet fixed that card. just cause it fell on the concrete, doesnt mean it wont work anymore. there was no "visible" damage to it. ill relap the ram sinks soon, and reattach them, dont worry. if the card works that is. if not, it looks like i owe you another card.

ps - sorry for the hijak there.

I dunno, the p3 CPU's are so expensive that you're better off buying a refurbed dual AMD board and unlocking a couple of XP 1600+ procs...it'll cost about the same price as a dual p3 board and 2 P3 cpu's, and you'll have a higher bus speed and more expandability later if you want to upgrade to 2000+'s or something.

Two words: dual Durons :)

Dual 1.3GHz Durons on a refurb Tyan Tiger 2460 (MP) board, 1Gig DDR PC2100 non-ECC (I think non ECC is supported, not sure about non-registered).

The MSI K7D Master-L would be more expensive I think, but definately supports non-regsitered non-ECC RAM in at least 2 of the 4 slots.

David

David said:
Two words: dual Durons :)

Dual 1.3GHz Durons on a refurb Tyan Tiger 2460 (MP) board, 1Gig DDR PC2100 non-ECC (I think non ECC is supported, not sure about non-registered).

The MSI K7D Master-L would be more expensive I think, but definately supports non-regsitered non-ECC RAM in at least 2 of the 4 slots.

David

eeeeeenteresting. Dual Durons. That would be perfect. Need to be morgan core, right? man, a dual duron SMP board would be infintely upgradable
where could I find a refurbed 2460? maybe I could find a refurbed MPX board? that would be muy bueno.

I think I have some Kingston ValueRam sitting around here somewhere...

Last edited:
Namagomi said:

eeeeeenteresting. Dual Durons. That would be perfect. Need to be morgan core, right? man, a dual duron SMP board would be infintely upgradable
where could I find a refurbed 2460? maybe I could find a refurbed MPX board? that would be muy bueno.

I think I have some Kingston ValueRam sitting around here somewhere...
any refurb board should be OK. Just the S2460 was the cheapest one I could think of. New, anyway.

David

why not just go with XP's? the 1600's aren't that much more than duron 1.3's plus you get a higher bus speed.

[edit]I guess you'll save about $20 per CPU, but the lowest price on pricewatch for 1700's is $52 (duron 1.3 is $32) IMHO it's worth the extra $40 for the step up in performance you'll get.

I also wanted to point out that newegg carries the refurbed dual boards from time to time. hint: newegg usually posts all their refurbed stuff mondays @ noon (pacific time) [/edit]

Ya you don't need as much ram as you do processor power for BF1942. I have a 1GHz Duron with 768MB ram on a dual OC-3 connection. I can do about 24 with no lag, 32 with lag. I can't run anything over 32, it just wont work.

Dual anything is going to be a complete waste of time as BF1942 doesn't support dual CPU's.

Get the fastest thing you can get your hands on and completely fill it with memory. 2 Gig Minimum.

Try this site for some awsome cpu/mobo combos. They an ABit KX7-33 mobo w/ XP 1800 for 155 bucks!!!! Wow is what I say. Plus you can order the cpu with AGOIA Y stepping for $19 extra. Then go to www.pcboost.com and load up on cheap RAM. They have great prices there. Thats what I would do if I had the money. Plus unless that connection your talkng about is like sooooo insanely fast dont server 32 players, the lag is too bad. Plus I only like 24 players as it gets a little crowded with 32.

Trust me on that one...I've have been playing since the single-player beta.

BTW is that connection a college one?? If so what would they think about your bandwith hog going 24/7...

also be warned that only morgan cored durons (ie 1ghz+) will work in SMP.
If bf1942 servers dont support SMP, then a fast single rig with lots of ram and a good uplink is definitely the go ;)

yeah, its a college connection. i dont know if they can monitor my bandwidth individually. i live in the fraternity house, and we just have an uplink to the school network, and im not sure exactly how thats set up. all of that stuff is in a closet, and only the university has the key, although i would really like to look around in it sometime. my brother ran a counterstrike server in my room up until a week or two ago. it was only 16 person or so, and i know it doesnt take as much bandwidth as BF1942, but still. we have like 15 other computers in the house, so i dont think it will be noticed to much.

as to it being to crowded with more than 24, i run a 28 person, and i like that many. some of those maps, i would really like to see with all 64 people :D , i cant run that many while i play. i checked while i was running a server last night, and according to the task manager, i was using about 450megs of ram. i know right before i started bf, windows was only using about 90 megs, so your right, bf does take a sick amount of ram.

Wow 64 ppl....so many games today boast 64-player capabilities but can anyone use it...no. It would be great though for maps like El Alamein or some other big ones.

Dont ya love how great BF alt-tabs?? You can be connected to a server and playing then alt-tab to your desktop (with out any screwy resolution issues) do some stuff...then alt-tab back to the game without a trace of any problem!! Sound comes back tooo YAY!!

LOL...my sister is going to college and they wont even allow downloading on the school network...imagine if I went ther and tried to serve a 32 player bf game. They would murder me. Man I want to go to the lan party...sounds like a butt load of fun.

O well, keep us updated on the hardware your getting and good luck!

Justin

Back