• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't take it anymore!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlowBurn

I thought I could, but I can't. This Torndao is TOO LOUD! When I have to wear headphones just to HERE the words from an MP3, that's a bit much.

Can someone please provide me with some information as to what kind of fan I could get that would be tolerable and still give me the same cooling as the Torndao? Can I get a 120mm fan with an 80mm adapter, and put it on my AX-7? Please any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated! My ears and wife thank you :)

why not try the 7v mod first before you give up on the fan completely? Made a huge difference in the noise my 84cfm sunon made, and hardly made a difference in cpu temps

Codeman05 said:
why not try the 7v mod first before you give up on the fan completely? Made a huge difference in the noise my 84cfm sunon made, and hardly made a difference in cpu temps

How do would one go about doing a 7volt mod? Is it complicated, or can anyone do it with step-by-step instructions?

Ok... the fan has 2 wires going to the molex (4 pinn) power connector. One to yellow, one to black. Take the one going to black and remove it from the molex, then attach it to the molex with the Red line. Basically you can do this anyway you like so long as in the end the two wires go to yellow and red, and you aren't shorting anything.

There's some instructions online with images and all on how to do this. Can anyone link?

Found it...
http://www.overclockershideout.com/7voltmod.shtml

the way they do it keeps ya from cutting up your fan too.

EDIT: Oh and btw this will 7 volt EVERY fan that is chained after it. (It will also seven volt every other 12 volt device, and all devices that normally run 5 or 7 volts WILL NOT WORK. I have no idea what 7 volting, say a hard disk will do -I dont even know if hard disks are 12 volts-, so I highly recommend that you only run fans on the line after this adapter.)

Last edited:
I think SVC has a 6volt one for 6$

Nevermind it uses a 3 pin connector.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly... by using a 7volt mod, it slows the fan down, which means less noise, but there really isn't a difference in temps?

If I was to do the 7volt mod it would only be temporary until I would buy a rheobus or something like that. That way I could control all the fans in my case.

BTW, Thanks for all the help guys. That link you provided for me Lithan is great.

SlowBurn said:
Let me make sure I understand this correctly... by using a 7volt mod, it slows the fan down, which means less noise, but there really isn't a difference in temps?

If I was to do the 7volt mod it would only be temporary until I would buy a rheobus or something like that. That way I could control all the fans in my case.

BTW, Thanks for all the help guys. That link you provided for me Lithan is great.

Yep, same thing I did. Also be sure the rheostat you get can handle your fan. I had a hard time finding one that wasn't a lousy 4-6 watts, when my fan ran about 9.5 watts.

exactly. i bought this one and i hooked it up last night for my tornado. it is like night and day. right now i have all 3 case fans on one channel and the tornado on another. it can handle up to 17 watts per channel. it is truly a sweet $100 cdn investment.
my wife complains about the 'planes' making noise. not anymore hon. i adjusted the case fan speed and by doing that the noise was cut dramatically. i lowered the tornado's speed and monitored. i gained 1 degree by cutting the speed in half. will do more testing tonight. i recommend this type of device to anyone.

http://www.pcmods.com/details.asp?ProdID=4

I bought a rheostat for my tornado from Allelectronics.com It is much quieter and cools almost as well as full speed.

amazing...not so much, they arent complicated at all...just some wrapped wire around a conductive base, and the knob that spins around on the coil....depeding on where the knob is...and how far along the coil..decides how much voltage is regulated

buy the rheostat from sidewindercomputers.com ...it regulates just enough to keep the fan quiet, but not hinder performance

Yes. I have a nice delta running about 2 feet from me most of the time. Sure, I am almost deaf now, but now I can't enjoy music, and I can barely hear the fan! It gets better after a while :)

Back