• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first CPU overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kinerry

Athlon XP 1600+ AGOIA 9 from newegg

I maxed out the mobo settings and got to 1.64Ghz with 314mhz fsb

air cooled, max temp was 42C

pretty friggin sweet stuff, comes up as an athlon xp 2000+

ah i think not
i see your not new, to make things easyer don't double your fsb. just say 157. Thats still a good overclock. get a new MB and you should be a lot higher,

Look at my sig, I am running old board and pc-133 with the chip set at 12 x multi. Your OC fairs decent, I imagine when you get a higher Multiplier you will achieve equivilant or higher than my system. I am figuring my RAM is what is holding me back at this time. I can clock the system to 1.85 Ghz but it locks up when folding, appears to run fine with Burn-in and other benchies but if it can not run all apps stable you have to suck it up and back it off. Whats the point of running a system super fast if you have to restart every 5 min? lol, anyway, have fun with it and good luck to a high stable OC!!

Well I noticed I could run most of my programs and apps withought any problems, but when it came to the crunch my chip was not stable enough to run at the full clock speed I thought it could. I have been overclocking for several years and have used several programs for testing stability but have never come across a more stressfull program than Folding @ Home.

I have an invitation for you, join the folding team, team 32. To be precise, try the software that "crunches numbers", if the system hangs at any point you should back off on the fsb or multier. It has been the only sure fire way for me to test %100 system stability of my system at an OC'd speed, and while you are folding you are actually contributing to a good cause.

If you want to know more about folding and it's application use the following link.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117253

If you do decide to take the invite you can download the latest client software at the following link:

http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

Weather you decide to decline or join I wish you the best.

:beer:

Rick.

I got to 1869 on air with my chip, but it BSOD'd on me when I tried to play Need for speed 3... then I backed off to 1848 and upped the core to 1.95V... that was completely stable except for prime 95... So the max stable speed IMHO is 1827 where I got no crashes... that was running @ 60C so I compromised by dropping the chip multiplier to 10 and running it at 1780 where I get under load temps of 52C now... water cooling and 2.0 V ought to get me to 1900 MHz though....

I had the same problem as you when I was OCing this chip the first day, I got to 157 FSB then it wouldn't go any faster (RAM was at 402) and the PCI bus was at it's limit for the crappy PCI cards I have in there (38 MHz)

Anyhow, I pulled off the side, flipped the 166-200 FSB switch, the 1/5 divider kicked in and I shot for the moon.

I also purchased my AGOIA 9 from newegg... so far I'm pretty happy. :D

Back