• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messenger Service Pop-Ups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

Well....all of this stuff has been going around lately about messenger service pop-ups..etc. I was just wondering if say, I, could go about doing this to other people. For instance, when my little brother is on his computer, popping up things like "you broke the computer, now deleting all files" or "you are dumb" etc... It would be a lot of fun. Can someone explain how to do this really simply. (I'm not one of those windows guru's)

BTW, both comps are running Windows2k Pro if that makes any difference.

-CPFitz-

it's a netsend command but win2k does not have it i believe. I think it's only in xp. you can try though. don't anyone yell at me for telling him this. go to run and type netsend ip address message. for example
netsend 123.122.1.2 you are dumb
that's all there is to it.

There was a similar thread about this a while ago, and someone came up w/ disabling messenger service (not msn messenger, the messenger service under control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> messenger. right cliick on the item, choose manual start instead of auto, and to this date, it's been 1 week and I haven't get a single popup yet .. but dunno if it's caused by the changes or nobody yet to send me any :) .. worth to try tho.

When I do what kaltag said, I get an error, that netsend can't be found, or something like that. Any other ideas?

We must have it if i can receive those *&^% popups, right?

-CPFitz-

it's not one word, it's 2. This is the syntax that I think should work. At least for xp anyway. Go into cmd and type
Code:
net send 123.45.6.78 you are dumb
replacing 123.45.6.78 with the other person's ip.

Still can't get it to work. Where can I find out the ip address? b/c are computers are networked they both have the same ip(at least they both showed up the same on the Shields UP! website) Am I looking for some sort of internal ip address. Looking forward to scaring the #$%^ out of my brother:D

-CPFitz-

You can net send your self too, either type localhost or 127.0.0.1

So, I've been telling people to shut down the service and that should do it. I don't know for sure, since I actually use net send to send stuff between me and my brother when we don't wanna sign on IM...stuff like "Hey, lets play UT."

I assume shutting off messenger service will atleast stop the annoying popups.

Now...if your going the firewall route, what port should you be closing? And I can't recall, does Netbios use multiple ports? Might as well get them all if you are a home user with no network.

I've been trying to educate some cable/dsl users I know at work/school that didn't even have firewalls...the response as to how many get Messenger spam now compared to last month is CRAZY! I got so many requests on how to stop the service from people scared of Control Panel that I posted a newbie tutorial on my site to save my vocal chords! :p

Mike

CPFitz14 said:
Am I looking for some sort of internal ip address?

Yeah, actually. I should have mentioned that. Get his internal IP if you can. Or you could just use the "net view" like CrystalMethod was saying. Get his comp name minus the "\\" and put that in place if the IP.

Here it is:
dos copy.jpg

Any suggestions?

Btw, there isn't file sharing, or anything like that between the two computers, if that matters at all.

wooo this is tiiight!! just message my roomate.. he thought he just got hacked!! LOOOL

anyhow just type net /help in the command prompt and it'll show you all the options. :D

CPFitz14 said:
Here it is:
dos copy.jpg

Any suggestions?

Btw, there isn't file sharing, or anything like that between the two computers, if that matters at all.

yeah, I have the perfect suggestion: Turn off Zonealarm. I have no idea how to configure zonealarm for LAN stuff and it's annoying. Any time I want to send or recieve data from a computer on LAN, I need to shut down Zonealarm...this includes net messages.

Krusty said:

yeah, I have the perfect suggestion: Turn off Zonealarm. I have no idea how to configure zonealarm for LAN stuff and it's annoying. Any time I want to send or recieve data from a computer on LAN, I need to shut down Zonealarm...this includes net messages.

Instead of turning it off take a look around the settings and set it up to allow local traffic:D

I don't have zonealarm though, just Norton Antivirus, which I can't do anything about because my parents make me have it there.:mad: Even though its my comp, and I paid for it.

Kendan said:

Instead of turning it off take a look around the settings and set it up to allow local traffic:D

And where would that be? I have the free version of zonealarm. Would that be only in the pro version?

Back