• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My AMD system is finally running. Got a 1700+ T-bred. Have Q

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

My AMD system is finally running. Got a 1700+ T-bred. Have Q's & Thanks

Well, I finally got my AMD system running.

After troubles with an A7V333, to find out that my XP 1600+ AGOIA Y was indeed a dead chip.

I went to the closest PC store today, originally intending on buying a cheap Duron to determine whether or not the problem with my new board (Epox 8K5A3+) was the CPU. As most suggested the CPU was dead, you guys were right.

They were selling retail XP1700+s for $79, and I checked the steppings, to find that the 1700s were T-Breds! :eek:

I had a rush of geek adrenaline, and asked to check the 1800+s to see if they were T-Breds also, but only the 1700+s were, so I bought one.

I got a RIRGA stepping chip (how high can this go....with water? is it as good or better than my dead XP1600+ AGOIA Y?).

I rushed home, popped in the chip, installed the cooler, and fired it up.

:eek: OMG it works!!!!! :eek:

I looked through all the options in the BIOS (checked the FSB overclocking tab, it asks to enter a code or something. Am I looking at the wrong thing or can someone explain how this works?). The temps are good 89 degrees farenheit w/ an Antec aluminum skived cooler, and the core voltage is 1.52v. The RAM was automatically run at 333Mhz (PC-2700) which was very nice.

I tried booting off of my Win98SE partition from my HP Pavilion which I pulled the drive from, got pretty far but when Windows was detecting the new devices it got all funky, artifacted, and crashed up.

So I ran FDISK, erased that partition, and I'm formatting the drive now. (Geesh, it takes a hell of a long time, only at 41% so far! Well it is a 80GB drive I suppose...). I'm installing Win98SE from an OEM CD I got for nothing, after I install the OS, just install the motherboard drivers off the Epox CD and I should be ok to install a game and try it out, right? (after I install my vid card drivers of course).

Thanks to the tons of people on this forum that helped me over a months span to figure out what my problem was and get my AMD system running. You guys rock~!

Yeah, you would definately need a clean install from a HP Pavillion!!!

Don't know about the OC on you mobo. Good to see you got a good deal on your CPU!

araknis said:
Look at my XP1700+ (still on work to reach higher frequencies)
But it's an AIRGA on an Epox 8k5a2!
These Tbred XP1700+ are very overclockable! ;)
We're waiting for your oc!

Looks like I got a good chip then! :)

Not going to overclock much at all right now, since I only have an Antec aluminum cooler w/ a slim 60mm fan (equivalent to an OCZ Dominator 2 I think).

Is this chip unlocked out of the box?

And another thing-
On my Celeron 600 @ 745Mhz, 256MB PC-133 @ 125Mhz, Kyro 1 PCI 32MB I scored around the high 80s-90fps for the Timedemo001 benchmark in Quake3.

With the same video card in the XP1700+ TBred @ 1467Mhz, 256MB PC-3200 @ 166Mhz, I'm getting 78fps. Is the PCI card simply choking this machine to death?

I also installed and played some Aliens vs. Predator 2 which played "ok" on the HP, extremely choppy at times. Load times are simply amazing on here, but its still fairly choppy in a lot of areas. I'm assuming this is due to my video card. When I get a Radeon 9700 for Christmas will this choppiness go away?

Back