• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i killing the connectors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

effekt

Registered
i currently have 5 80mm antec fans connected to the 12v connector comming outta the mobo, the antec true power fan only connectors suck and they make ur fans ultra slow, so my only alternative was to connect all ym fans to the mobo, is this a bad idea, amd i slowly damaging the mobo?, if so what can i do?!??!

Don't you have a spare 12/5V connector for an CD-rom/harddisk ?? Use that one.

Yeah, don't bother to use the "fan" marked 12/5V connector, it will only speed up if the inner temp of the PS goes really high. It isn't suited to feed very much either, from the top of my head I think it maxes out at 1A!!!
That "fan" connector won't get more volts unless PS temps goes high, it probably won't go high if you have a well ventilated case.

better make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.
this is a very bad idea. seeing as they are antec fans, and not screamers like the deltas or the tornados the likelihood of them sucking major current is not that great, but the fact is you have loaded up the mobo header with 5 of them. i am deeply concerned. why does plugging them into the ps run slow?
if i am wrong, someone please correct me.

The antec TP PSU's have a couple of fan plugs that are voltage controlled and dependant on temp. Mine sit at about 5.2 volts.The PSU's have a good 7 normal 12/5 connectors. You should be able to find at least one to plug your fans into. As for how many amps the 'fan only' connectors on the PSU are rated for, I don't remeber. The manual says only two or three fans. I opened it up and looked at the components, but I don't remember the amp rating. I wouldn't run all of those fans off a mobo header, tho.

Gnufsh said:
The PSU is rated at 10 watts on the fan only line.
Ahh, ok, thanks for looking up Gnufsh!

So 10Watts = 12V and 0.83 amps MAX on "FAN only" connector.

Well.. I'd recon that Antec fan will suck 0.2 - 0.25 amps a peice though.

im gonna leave my 2 exhausat and blowhole connected to the 12v line from the mobo and connected the 2 front intakes to the other line i found hidden in my drive bnays, i think its for another cd-rom or something, or ard drive connector.

oh crap, i think i should of tol u guys earlier, they are 4 pin fans, and they are all rated at 34cmf... that help for a better conclusion?

[QUTOTE]i think its for another cd-rom or something, or ard drive connector.[/QUOTE]

Those are for anything you want to hook them up to. Including fans. I'd really advise against hooking up 80mm fans to the motherboards header.

can any1 link me to a picture of a mother board header so im sure that thats what im connected to?

Motherboard fan headers only have 3 pins with a plastic tab on the one side.

Your fan should either have a small 3-pin header connector, or a large 4-pin connector, same as the hard drive/cdrom drive connectors.

omg guys, that meens this whole time i was ok, cause i had my fans plugged on a 4 pin gigantic wire comming out of the mobo about 12 inches long...i dont have anything pluggged on the 3 pin...

I never knew of any mobo with a 4-pin power connector comming out of it.

The wire you want to connect to is comming out of the power supply, same wires that connect to the hard drive & cdom, etc...

i am serious, i have the p4s8x and this plug is capable of using fans, it already ahd fans plugged on it when i got the computer and 2 other fans on the psu FAN ONLY line which was very slow since its thermally contorlled, so i daisy chauined everything off that 1 12v line, but now i have 2 on the 12 v line and 3 others on the psu cd-rom drive/HD connector, everything is running smoooooth.

Ummm, that plug is for use instead of the regular P4 auxillury power connector. While the setup will work if you have the regular P4 connector plugged into the motherboard, I'd still suggest finding another power connector from your power supply to use.

umm no, and u can use it fro anything, all other psu connections are taken, so yea...shut up.

CrystalMethod is correct. I just went to the Asus site and looked up that mobo. That connector is for supplementary power INTO the motherboard. It is not meant to supply power to other components, i.e. no fans, no drives, etc...

On the other hand, if you DO have the square 4-pin P4 connector right next to it plugged in, then it actually should work fine for fans running off 12v only. The 4-pin P4 supplementary connector doesn't have the 5v line (if I remember correctly). If you plug anything other than a 12v only device into that extra connector, then you would be drawing the 5v from the mobo, and that might give you problems.

effekt said:
umm no, and u can use it fro anything, all other psu connections are taken, so yea...shut up.

May I restate the rules:
1. Absolutely NO personal attacks will be tolerated, no exceptions!
"so, yeah...shut up" would qualify as one in my opinion

--back to the topic--
running more than 1 or 2 fans off of the mobo like that could be bad. Maybe you could splice the wires and use 1 free psu connector hooked into one of those long screw down connector thingies from radioshack. I forget what there called but if ya look around you'll see what i'm talking bout.

Back