• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No offense...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bum

Registered
but did you ever think the government might have a working cure for some of the world's diseases like cancer, etc. and won't release it because of greed?

They must make billions off cancer patients by giving them drug cocktails and chemo.

Just a thought.

bum said:
but did you ever think the government might have a working cure for some of the world's diseases like cancer, etc. and won't release it because of greed?

They must make billions off cancer patients by giving them drug cocktails and chemo.

Just a thought.
For sure. My mom is convinced that there is a cure for cancer and that the gov't is not releasing it... who knows. As long as I MIGHT make a difference, I WILL FOLD!!!

Re: Re: No offense...

nikhsub1 said:

For sure. My mom is convinced that there is a cure for cancer and that the gov't is not releasing it... who knows. As long as I MIGHT make a difference, I WILL FOLD!!!

Me too. ;)

Even if the Gov't did have such a thing, (and frankly, I hope they do, as it would mean there is one) it would only be a matter of time before someone outside the gov't finds it as well, and makes it available to all.

It's a double edged sword...yes, it would totally suck if the gov't was withholding such a thing, but on the good side, it means there's a cure.

Until such time as it's "proven", I will continue to help out here, running FAH.

Fold ON!! :beer:

bum said:

Just a thought.

No.

I don't believe most any other overly paranoid conspiracy theories that people think up where those in power are always evil, greedy and heartless.

So let me see, someone in the government is sitting on a multi-billion dollar cancer treatment But they are holding back so that the drug companies can sell billions of dollars worth of unsafe drugs of doubtful effectiveness?

Doesn't sound all that plausible to me.

Then there is the question of where the miracle cure came from. All the medical researchers publish regularly in their respective journals. So they mostly know the state of cancer research. It would be awfully hard to hide that fact that someone was getting close to a miracle drug.

But just for the sake of argument, let's say that the cure was discovered in America and the research was promptly suppressed. The government did try to suppress atomic science back in the 1930's and the whole world knew at once that we were working on the bomb.

It would be an uphill battle to hide something like that without tipping off the people in the know. And knowing what research was being suppressed would give scientists in other countries a big hint on what direction to move thier research efforts.

I don't believe that either. If there was a conspiracy, for one thing, there would be researchers who would know the cure existed, along with their superiors from their lab, then the chain of bureautic command. too many loopholes, someone would have enough info to spill the beans on it. Governments make a lot of money off cigarette tax, but they encourage people to quit (see some of the "truth" adds... they may be pathetic, but they cost money) Same with alachol and gambling. The governments make big money in these arenas as well, but also support campaigns against excessive habits.

Last point of my arguments, the government could make more money off of taxes than if the person was cured and able to become a fully functional member of society again than they could off the drugs.

If there is a conspiracy, it would be within the drug company that found the cure. They might have too many other products at the time making good money and get tripped up by greed, but I don't think the government would be able to hide a cure without a lot of loopholes.

True

Sounds right. Gov't can't hide **** for very long. But I definately think they are a bit shady.

I don't think so either.... on a somewhat related note, have you ever thought about the fact that the federal government's massive inefficiency and beauracracy is a form of check-and-balance? Not quite what the founding fathers had in mind, I'll bet, but a good one nonetheless.

bum, welcome to the forums.

This thread belongs in general, non-computer-related discussion.

But for the record, this particular paranoid conspiracy theory is completely ludicrous. In addition to several excellent points, just who would have helped create this incredible cure for the government that has eluded the collective research faculty of thousands of the world's top scientists? They would have to glean some of those very scientists, but frankly, the amount of effort expended on a worldwide, peer-reviewed scale would likely dwary anything the government could fund in private.

Just a few thoughts. Fold on! -- Paul

Back