• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what tbred unlocked when? The answer is here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

none1

OK, like there's a million posts going around about what's unlocked when on which mobo. I started some of the questions myself. Here is my understanding as of today. I could very well be wrong, I don't personally have a tbred 2200 or higher. I DO have a bunch of paliminos, a mobile tbreda 1600 and a tbreda 1700, an msi kt400 and an epox kt400.

Please jump in if I've got some errors.

1) Tbreds all come unlocked. They ALL seem to be unlocked. I have not seen a post that shows that any tbred was not unlocked.

This doesn't mean they will be unlocked forever, but right now they are.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT shhhhh, listen. :)

2) The Tbred's of 2200 and above , ONLY SHOW THE MULTIS ABOVE 12.5. So you can have 12.5 or 14 or whatever, but NOT 9,10 or 11.

3) SOME MOTHERBOADS, mostly kt266a and kt333, have current bios that do not recognize the higher multis. SO, the chip won't show below 12.5, the mobo doesn't know above 12.5, and so IT LOOKS LIKE THE CHIP IS LOCKED, its not, the bios is just confused.

3A) Get a newer bios if your mobo has one, and you can see all the multis, 12.5 and above, even on the kt266a and the kt333.

4) But what you really want is LOWER multis for OCing.

4A) Connecting an L3 bridge (last one to the right I ?THINK?) will make a 2200 or higher show the multis up to 12.5. SO, yo have all the multis you really want by connecting only one bridge. COOL, easier than conencting all those L1 's .....

4B) BUT SOME KT400 BOARDS DO THIS FOR YOU!! Epox does, abit does, asus does, MSI DOES NOT. Don't know about other boards. SO, if you have one of these boards, AND you have a tbred of 2200 or higher speeds, the bios gives you all the multis you could ever want cool.

YOU ONLY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT A MOTHERBOARD "UNLOCKING" IF YOU HAVE A HIGH SPEED TBRED AND WANT LOWER MULTIS.

5) NOW FOR SLOWER TBREDS
ALL TBREDS ARE UNLOCKED. (see point 1) The slower tbreds all default to a lower multi.

SO ANY KT266A, KT333 OR KT400 BOARD WILL SHOW YOU ALL MULTIS UP TO 12.5 FOR SLOWER TBREDS.

So go buy the tbred 1700, 1800, or mobile 1600, you will have all that you want unlocked, with all the ktxxx motherboards that you already have.

Enjoy.

but what if you want high multis on slower tbreds, say an 1800+ at 15 multi on 133 or 134 fsb to get 2ghz, so that people with just pc2100 ram can oc to 2ghz with an inexpensive processor, how do you set high multis on slower tbreds?

none1 said:
Please jump in if I've got some errors.

Ok, you asked for it. :D

none1 said:
1) Tbreds all come unlocked. They ALL seem to be unlocked. I have not seen a post that shows that any tbred was not unlocked.

Wrong. My 2200+ Tbird RevA came very much LOCKED.

none1 said:
2) The Tbred's of 2200 and above , ONLY SHOW THE MULTIS ABOVE 12.5. So you can have 12.5 or 14 or whatever, but NOT 9,10 or 11.

Wrong again. After I unlocked my 2200+, I had access to any multipliers UNDER 12. In fact, I can't even get to post at 12.5 or above. Not that I care anyways, as lower multi is better for o/cing

none1 said:
3) SOME MOTHERBOADS, mostly kt266a and kt333, have current bios that do not recognize the higher multis. SO, the chip won't show below 12.5, the mobo doesn't know above 12.5, and so IT LOOKS LIKE THE CHIP IS LOCKED, its not, the bios is just confused.

Every revision of my AT7's BIOS has had a max multi of 12.5

none1 said:
3A) Get a newer bios if your mobo has one, and you can see all the multis, 12.5 and above, even on the kt266a and the kt333.

As I said above, AT7 users are SOL, as the maximum multi you can have is 12.5

none1 said:
4A) Connecting an L3 bridge (last one to the right I ?THINK?) will make a 2200 or higher show the multis up to 12.5. SO, yo have all the multis you really want by connecting only one bridge. COOL, easier than conencting all those L1 's .....

Yes. the 5th L3 bridge. I get the feeling you havn't unlocked a Tbred before, hence all the errors, but whatever I can do to help :D

Re: Re: what tbred unlocked when? The answer is here.

Namagomi said:

Ok, you asked for it. :D

Wrong. My 2200+ Tbird RevA came very much LOCKED.

Wrong again. After I unlocked my 2200+, I had access to any multipliers UNDER 12. In fact, I can't even get to post at 12.5 or above. Not that I care anyways, as lower multi is better for o/cing

Every revision of my AT7's BIOS has had a max multi of 12.5

As I said above, AT7 users are SOL, as the maximum multi you can have is 12.5

Yes. the 5th L3 bridge. I get the feeling you havn't unlocked a Tbred before, hence all the errors, but whatever I can do to help :D

Umm. NOPE no errors in my post. Your 2200+ tbredA was unlocked. Yep it was. It was sent from the factory able to do every multiplier.

I'll say that again, your proc was NOT locked at ONE multiplier like the paliminos were.

Drop that tbredA into one of the newer epox or asus or abit KT400 boards, and no bridge work needed, all multis available.

So, if your PROC could do any multiplier, why did you need to connect the 5th L3 bridge? Cause like I said in my origional post, some of the older motherboards can't "see" all the multis on the newer chips.

Do not confuse your motherboard bios issue with the "locked" or not of the chip. Your chip was unlocked, and could do all multipliers. You had to connect the 5th L3 bridge to "trick" your motherboard into using a lower default multipler, thus allowing you access to the lower multipliers.

Note, tbreds with lower default multipliers (e.g. 1600,1700,1800) are all unlocked (just like your 2200 :) ) AND, they have the lower multi, so even on older kt266 or kt333 no bridge work is needed for these lower mulit tbreds.

Again, your tbred was NOT locked, your MOTHERBOARD was the problem.

none1 said:
(2) The Tbred's of 2200 and above , ONLY SHOW THE MULTIS ABOVE 12.5. So you can have 12.5 or 14 or whatever, but NOT 9,10 or 11. [/B]

WRONG!!! I have an Athlon XP 2600+ for 333 FSB and it came showing only the multipliers of 12.5 and below in order to get a multi higher than 12.5 I had to cut the 5th L3 bridge. The 2600+ for 266 FSB would fit your description, but not the 333 FSB versions of the T-Bred chip.

It is my understanding that all 2600+ 333 FSB chips will be like this. I'm guessing that the 2700+ and 2800+ 333 FSB chips will have the higher multipliers available. However, the 2600+ chip falls right on the line between the "higher" and "lower" set of multipliers since it uses 12.5 x 166 to reach its frequency. The 2600+ 266 FSB chip uses a mulitplier of 16 though (and runs at a higher frequency).

:clap:

This was a good question by R4z0r4mu5

But what if you want high multis on slower tbreds, say an 1800+ at 15 multi on 133 or 134 fsb to get 2ghz, so that people with just pc2100 ram can oc to 2ghz with an inexpensive processor, how do you set high multis on slower tbreds?

Re: Re: what tbred unlocked when? The answer is here.

LawyerLynn said:

WRONG!!! I have an Athlon XP 2600+ for 333 FSB and it came showing only the multipliers of 12.5 and below in order to get a multi higher than 12.5 I had to cut the 5th L3 bridge. The 2600+ for 266 FSB would fit your description, but not the 333 FSB versions of the T-Bred chip.

Ya good point, at the time of my origional posts, there weren't enough (?any?) of the 333 FSB athalons out.

7keys said:
This was a good question by R4z0r4mu5

But what if you want high multis on slower tbreds, say an 1800+ at 15 multi on 133 or 134 fsb to get 2ghz, so that people with just pc2100 ram can oc to 2ghz with an inexpensive processor, how do you set high multis on slower tbreds?

Ya got me here. Most hard core OCing wants high FSB, so lower multi. FSB = life. BUT, I see your point, old mobo with low FSB, but new chip .... (like my KT7AR :) )

This probably deserves a seperate post with this question, as someone probably did it already. BUT ...

A) If you CUT the 5th L3 bridge, that ?MIGHT? do it. As I understand it, closed (=not cut) 5th bridge = default multis of 12.5 and under, while open = cut 5th bridge = default multis of higher than 12.5.

B) BUT, you would need the mobo bios to recognize the higher multis, and that might limit you to a KT400 or lower board IF the bios can do higher multis.

C) BEYOND ME HERE, but if your bios does NOT do higher multis, there may be a way to cut and open certain bridges to get a higher multi. I know, for example, that if you had an xp 1600 (10.5 multi) there was some way to make it a 12 this way. You'd have to go look at a bridge guide somewhere.

Back