• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nasty computer viruses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moorcito

I've noticed a few threads lately asking about what virus scanner to use, and I started thinking about that whole subject. I can't even remember the last time that I had a computer virus, must have been like three years ago, or something. So, for me a virus scanner is pretty much worthless, since I don't open suspicious files, don't use outlook, etc.

When was the last time you had a computer virus? And do you think a virus scanner is benificial or just worthless junk that hogs system resources? (For me it's just worthless junk)

Last time I had a virus was when I accidentally left one of my computers on full unprotected share on the school network. I kicked myself the next morning when I realized what I had done.

I think that's the only time that I've actually gotten a virus on my computer however. I've cleaned a few off of my parent's computer, though.

Kazaa, all of my viruses have come from there. If not for that then I would have never been infected...

So ya I run Norton, have 2 :(

Lol - my dad asked me to check his computer - cos it was "Acting differently"

Norton 2002 located 32 viruses (5 different ones, one was found at least 10 times!!!)

Jeez! No wonder it was 'Acting Funny!'

I run norton just incase, last time i had a virus wasa few yeras ago it was called junkie or something and it attached itsself to my boot sector. I never knew it was there till i did a virus scan and that picked it up.

I get small pathetic ones through IE sometimes, but nothing big.

3 months ago I had Chernobyl. I now run a onine virus scan before installing things.

I don't remember having viruses before that though.

My last virus was 2 months ago when my brother starting downloading stuff from kazaa while i was gone. It was the kind that disables Norton, then precedes to have fun :(.

Never let your guard down!
I too haven't had a virus in a lomg, long time, then I had 2 attached to some email's I received in the last month. You'll be sorry when you get screwed!
I use Norton, but AVG is good for a freebie.

My last virus was Nimda. It got in through my unprotected IIS. I had installed Win2k, and put IIS on the install list to save some time. Well, while I was setting stuff up, I had forgotten it was running and didn't get a chance to protect it. Got nailed. Formatted again. Kicked myself in the ***.

I had Nimda try to install from the preview pane in OE today. It came attached to some junk e-mail.
Norton's got it, not me....that's the point....'nuff said.

i havent had one for about 3 years but then i got avg or whatever that free one is beucase im doing more on the net

all in all the only virus i ever had was a outlook macro virus that just sent its self to every ( 4 ) perosn on my mail list
it didnt do anything bad

I haven't had one. Dunno about my 386 or Pre-Retro-Fit Pentium MMX Gateway days though, as I didn't get into computers until last winter :)

Back