• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual amd for a server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You have to update the BIOS to get support for multi's above 12.5, but this may just add SUPPORT for multi's above that, it may not give you the optoin to set multi's that high. I don't know.

You only get multi's higher than 12.5 if you have chips that use multi's higher than 12.5 (XP2100, XP2200, XP2400, etc.)

Sorry for the confusion.

If you have CPU's whose default multi is below 12.5 at default (XP2000 or slower) than you can only get to 12.5, max.

That's not true. T-breds run hotter than Palominos.

63% the size of Palominos at 86% the voltage.

This means that heat transfer is affected. You now have to cool 86% as much voltage with 63% the surface area. This is much harder to do, so you have to have really good cooling at default speeds and voltages. Overclocking? You'll need REALLY good cooling if you start raising the frequency and voltage.

i rhink mr $t$ was thinking of tbred b's, but we have yet to see them hit these lower cpu's (and not liekly to happen)

cmcquistion said:
You only get multi's higher than 12.5 if you have chips that use multi's higher than 12.5 (XP2100, XP2200, XP2400, etc.)
So what would be the max multi with a XP2100 ?

could he do the same without running duallies...especially for a home server or would the work load be to much...

The reason I asked is because I want to build me a server the cheapest and most effective way...don't want it to really cost over 6-700 bucks...to get it started...

Yeah, you could go with a lot less for a server. Our only point is that, if you want to, a dually is awesome for a server.

Realistically, a single XP and single hard drive are fine for a small server.

cmcquistion said:
Yeah, you could go with a lot less for a server. Our only point is that, if you want to, a dually is awesome for a server.

Realistically, a single XP and single hard drive are fine for a small server.

it's all about showing off your awesome home server! plus you'd pretty much be set for a very long time if you were running a dualie of top quality... that is how i am looking at it... i want to be able to keep this server running for years to come...

mbentley said:

it's all about showing off your awesome home server! plus you'd pretty much be set for a very long time if you were running a dualie of top quality... that is how i am looking at it... i want to be able to keep this server running for years to come...

aiight, thanks...and that is something I could consider...its like showing off your main rig...

Back