• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth the upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imaboutaquit

hi all, I could use some input as to whether an upgrade will be worth the approx. 400$ it will cost to perform. I currently have a 1.2 tbird @ 1330-133 bus; one stick 256meg kingmax pc 150,one stick 128 micron at turbo 2.2.2. settings,4way interleave;gf4ti4200 64 meg-good overclocker @290/590 stable;maxtor 20 gig ata100 7200 spin; all on an ABIT KT7E board. Really wanted to know if an upgrade to ddr and something like a 2000/2100+ would warrant the upgrade cost. I like my gfx card and would not replace unless the 9700 came WAY down in cost. I play all my games 1024/768 with all candy turned on(some of the latest games I cant turn EVERYTHING on, but close). Pricing an upgrade with everything needed is about 400$us and seems kind of high if game performance wont increase significantly. Any input appreciated. by the way, 3dmark2001 is right around the 8000 area. Thanks

In games, the upgrade will probably be noticeable, but I don't think it is worth $400. A T-bird at 1.3 still has plenty of life in it. If you really are a hard core junky, and need all the eyecandy on, then you are going to need to by new hardware every 4-6 months. Which is an option most of us can't afford. I say count your losses, and except you can't play games with everything on, and then when it comes to the point its actually hurting the overall apeal of a game or playability, then upgrade.

Of course if money is not an issue, buy!!! buy!!! buy!!!

cack01 said:
If you really are a hard core junky, and need all the eyecandy on, then you are going to need to by new hardware every 4-6 months.

Hey, stop looking at me like that.

cack01 said:

Of course if money is not an issue, buy!!! buy!!! buy!!!

Well put :D There is no option! YOU MUST ALWAYS UPGRADE! I don't think I've ever stopped being in a constant state of upgrading this box ever since I won a few parts in a Tweakmonster contest.

Back