• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best fan for the Northbridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

If I put a 40mm fan, should I install a better heatsink? I know some people put orbs, how well do those work in cooling the NB? Will any fan help? Or would I need that Delta 40x28 fan to get it cool?

He was talking about the NorthBridge right? The cyrstal orb should fit on all of them that i can think of they all have that same 2 hole mounting,

Matt

Check out the Vantec Copper IceBerq. Nice kit that comes with heatsinks, 3M thermal tape, thermal grease, fan adapter, and they are quiet. Dropped the temps on my video card 5C. And they are cheap:D

I find it rather redundant to have orbs and watercooling on a northbridge. All you really need is to add Arctic Alumina (Non conductive and non capacitive) to the northbridge and lap it (Optional) whereas you get better contact and heat transfer. Considering a dab of thermal paste and a passively cooled heatsink already does the job for most mothebroards, this is going overboard really.

not true: especially on P4 boards, the northbridge gets HOT; mine was so hot, I couldn't touch it for more than 1.5 seconds! But a cheap 40mm fan did the trick, now it's cool :)
My suggestion is to keep the corb for your video card and use a cheap (about 1$) 40mm fan for the northbridge..

pirate252 said:
He was talking about the NorthBridge right? The cyrstal orb should fit on all of them that i can think of they all have that same 2 hole mounting,

Matt

Im curious if you have a crystal orb on yours cause I have basically the same board as you and I couldnt get my crystal orb to line up with both holes. Had to use the double sided tape.:(

i lapped the heatsink already there and used arctic alumina to reapply it. then i bought the 40x40x28 dynatron fan at newegg. this fan kicks ***. you have to hold it in your hand to see what 12.6cfm feels like out of such a small fan. 9200 rpm, :) . It was $6.50.

how about if you want silence? will the zalman heatsink do the job? im going to have a big case fan pointing in its direction and im not running p4.

seal said:
how about if you want silence? will the zalman heatsink do the job? im going to have a big case fan pointing in its direction and im not running p4.

i would say that a zalman should be fine, especially if there is a fan pointed toward it. i would have to agree with yodums, the northbridge is rarely a weak link when you are overclocking. the heatsink may be very hot, but i believe it should be :D that means it is transferring heat very well. as long as your case has good air circulation, you should be fine. if you want to change something, try to find a better northbridge heatsink. i just don't think that fans are really all that necessary on the northbridge.

mirko_3 said:
not true: especially on P4 boards, the northbridge gets HOT; mine was so hot, I couldn't touch it for more than 1.5 seconds! But a cheap 40mm fan did the trick, now it's cool :)
My suggestion is to keep the corb for your video card and use a cheap (about 1$) 40mm fan for the northbridge..

Have you tried to lap the heatsink on it and add Arctic Alumina to get some sort of heat transfer?

Every heatsink you touch will most likely be too hot for you to touch, it means it's working. A heatsink will not stay at room temperature for you bro.

Yodums

my reasoning simply was: if it's real hot, it means that I have to cool it :), or it could cause some problems... I know it means it works but what if it then can't dissipate the heat it receives quickly enough?
But unless it's really hot like mine, the yodums is probably right... also, I have very little case ventilation, as I'm watercooling and so haven't really worried about it much:)

Yodums said:

Have you tried to lap the heatsink on it and add Arctic Alumina to get some sort of heat transfer?

Every heatsink you touch will most likely be too hot for you to touch, it means it's working. A heatsink will not stay at room temperature for you bro.

Yodums

What if I try to put in Arctic Silver in there? Doesn't it stay in place after you set it, or will it move around and cause shorts in the mobo? If it does, I'll just use the Alumina. I just don't want to have something permanent on the chipset.

Originally posted by mbentley
try to find a better northbridge heatsink. i just don't think that fans are really all that necessary on the northbridge.

What type of heatsink would you suggest then?

Back