• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dang It!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

stupid, stupid, stupid people....

as you all know i couldn't possibly get all my folding power from my own rigs, so for some of rigs i build for clients, i usually throw on folding as a service.

well anyways, she's does alittle email, msn, and all the stuff a 14 year old would (its her OWN machine she bought it all without any help from mom or dad)

well to make a long story short her stupid brother who's in college is home for the holiday, and when she woke up this morning, he told her he had deleted a "bunch of stuff" which she didnt need anymore because it was "slowing down" her computer and now he "fixed it" so it would run alot better.

what an idiot. the thing hasnt locked up or acted up once since i built it, and that was over a month ago... she uses it everyday and every this girl see's me at school she comments on how much she loves the little thing and how great it runs.

i dont get where this guy goes about deleting something he doesnt understand... folding takes up at most 4000k of memory.. oh cry me a river, she's got 256mb of DDR in there, and its not like she would even notice ANYway.

sorry if this is a bit long but i just lost a 1.3ghz of cure finding power for my grandpa because some smuck thinks he's some all-knowing computer god. :mad:

Damn, that sucks a lot. Nothing angers me more than people who think they know what's going on with comps but don't... that's what I don't like about the tech club at my school. Nothing but a bunch of starcraft-obbsessed losers (they aren't even GOOD) who go oooh and ahhh at robots. Fools. Anyway, I feel your pain...

AmigoThree said:
Well that is how I feel when my parents go around shutting my machines off when I am asleep.

yeah they used to do that to mine also, until i read here the cost of leaving a machine on 24/7, multiply that by 5, and thats my monthly contribution to the electric bill :D

And how much does that come to? BTW, did you install fah on this girl's computer as the client version? If so, then she knows it's there and might not mind you putting it on again. After all, she sounds like she really appreciates your work. BTW, I am wanting to set up a similar business in my area, any tips on advertising?

Are you sure he uninstalled folding? Well, next time you are over at her house (use whatever means possible) just put it back on.. make sure your running it as a hacked Google toolbar or service.

By the way folding does use a lot of memory, turn on the virtual memory column in task manager and you will see this for yourself. Or use a 3rd party memory monitoring utility like cacheman.

http://www.outertech.com/news.php?news=23&PHPSESSID=f32589801aeebb352c022be2af4ebf3e

But still unless your playing the newest games 256 is plenty to fold and not have it use any virtual memory.

yeah gnerma, he uninstalled it, he told her it was some "molecule crap" lol... anyways, what i meant was folding doesnt really have an impact that noticable, there was even a site that did some benchies to prove it... heck look at me, i play all the latest games, and i only have 256.. but folding is never off :)

i'm not really over there much.. but she is a friend of my girlfriend.. perhaps they'll be a party or something for xmas and i'll make my move.. i can see it now..

"hey can i check my email?" :D

MrKillington said:
And how much does that come to? BTW, did you install fah on this girl's computer as the client version? If so, then she knows it's there and might not mind you putting it on again. After all, she sounds like she really appreciates your work. BTW, I am wanting to set up a similar business in my area, any tips on advertising?

the thread is in a sticky somewhere in the folding section, but i just give my pops 20 bucks a month now to keep him quiet :)

as for the girl putting it back on i dont really think she cares, but its the problem of getting over there again...

as far as the buisness goes, i'm basically the only one in a 25 mile radius that knows anything about computers... its a collection of smallish towns (300-1500 people). the best way to advertise is by word of mouth.. i've got so many relatives and friends of the family in this area its not even funny... another way is by making sure you do good, professional buisness. i've been doing this since as a buisness since i was 14, and i'm still only 17, but once they realize that you know what you're talking about and treat them with respect and professionalism, its all good :)

buisness cards, newspaper adds, posters in convience stores, theres countless places you could start.

i havent really even began seriously campaigning for work, as i'm doing quite well without it! gotta leave SOME time for school, myself, and the girlfriend you know ;)

Gnerma said:
How did you have it installed?

i had it set up as a service - it was built before the google hack had come out. i've messed around with the hack a bit now, and i could set it up in 2 minutes on her system... but like i said, i'm not over there much.. perhaps i'll need to make a special trip so you dont pass me in the charts! ;)

service

Service: In 2k or XP, use task scheduling to "run at start-up" for the text-only client. It runs hidden, although you can still see it in the task manager. There's one advanced option to turn off- "stop task after 72 hours". Pretty easy, and it gets the client out of the way for ordinary users. If someone is in the habit of killing processes in the task manager, then you can set it to "run whenever idle for x minutes". Then it'll turn on whenever they are not using the comp and turn off as soon as they touch the mouse. The task scheduler is located in the control panel.

Mr. Chambers, I feel your pain, regardless of our current competition. I now learn that the dual XP that I was building for a friend won't be online until the middle of January. :temper: He's a good friend, and has been folding with me for months. But for some reason he hasn't become obsessed with folding. :confused: Oh well. It looks like you and Gnerma will pass me and claim victory, but believe me, I will come back strong.

TwistedAnimator said:
Mr. Chambers, I feel your pain, regardless of our current competition. I now learn that the dual XP that I was building for a friend won't be online until the middle of January. :temper: He's a good friend, and has been folding with me for months. But for some reason he hasn't become obsessed with folding. :confused: Oh well. It looks like you and Gnerma will pass me and claim victory, but believe me, I will come back strong.

well losing 2 XP's is a bit worse than one lowly duron ;) that does indeed suck, no one around here is addicted either, although i think i am enough for the entire house :D

and my production wont be above 300 i dont think for sometime, unless of course i get another machine up, i've got a 1600xp and an 800 t-bird just sittin here! :(

too bad i'm really freaking poor, eh boys? :)

John

Bah, that's too bad... wommalong, you got me thinking, and maybe somone can answer this: is 3 700MHZ folders equivalent in folding capability to one 2100MHZ folder? Something tells me no, since my dad's comp, which is 1/3 my comp's speed, takes 9 times as long to fold...

MrKillington said:
Bah, that's too bad... wommalong, you got me thinking, and maybe somone can answer this: is 3 700MHZ folders equivalent in folding capability to one 2100MHZ folder? Something tells me no, since my dad's comp, which is 1/3 my comp's speed, takes 9 times as long to fold...

No it is not equivalent.. The processors that are 700 MHz are probably an older chip so they won't match a newer chip MHz to MHz (this is assuming we are talking AMD). My folding philosophy is you'd be better off selling all three 700 MHz machines and buying one nice, new faster machine. Its better for power consumption, easier to manage and more efficient.

It those machines don't belong to you though and they are just sitting, around by all means! Fold with them! :D

Also, looking at the stats (when they are working) it seems to me like everybody has stalled over the past few days.. I know I've heard of a lot of people running idle due to server outages but I have not and seem to be choking anyway. The obvious reason for this is were not immediately getting credit for the WUs we turn in but it seems I am getting credit for what I'm turning in... hmm I can't figure it out.

Back