• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600+ 10.5*133 --> 8.5*166...A Given

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rizge

I am an Intel Consumer and never ever tryed amd before
I was thinking of getting a 1600+ and changing its clocks as follows:
Instead of 133 FSb i make it 166 (with 333 ddr ram)
Instead of 10.5 Multiplier i make it 8.5(after unlocking it)
This way it won't even be oced because both are ~1400
So i want to know ur oppinion and any comments about that
And:
IS the Asus A7v266-E a good board for amd?

I think you're making the right decision getting a AMD system.

However, If you're not planning on running the cpu above it's rated speed, I suggest you just get a XP1700 ot XP1800 tbred since they already come factory unlocked and you don't have to fool for a first-timer and from what I understand, you've never worked w/ an AMD chip before. You can get the tbreds at www.newegg.com

As for the mobo, go for a KT333 mobo like the ABot kx7, asus a7v333 pr the epox 8k3a since they all have the 1/5 divider which will keep your in spec even at 166fsb. Those are you're best bets.

ahhh...yes you are right
forgot about the 1/5 divider
is there any pci/agp lock option like with intel p4?
also i am planning to oc but i was just asking if without oc the processor (only fiddling with multi and FSB ) if it would work
Are the tbred 1700+ or 1800+ more expensive than their equivalent XP?

nForce & nForce2's support the lock option. The nForce2's have a whole list of other features as well, that'd be my pick over a 333 or even a 400 board.

--Illah

Instead of an A7V266-E, you should consider something like an Abit KX7-333 or an Epox 8K3A+. They are much better than Asus in terms of performance, cost (The KX7 is 45 bucks and 8K3A+ is 50 bucks shipped but refurbs), overclocking, and stablility. They are both KT333 boards so they have the 1/5 divider.

Also like Shade mentioned, make sure your ram can handle 166 FSB.

Yodums

Like drunkmonkey said, Samsung is good stuff. My PC2100 will do PC2700, but only with a little kick in the pants from voltage. I think one of my sticks is probably the reason for this, but I'm too lazy to take it out and find out.

Tell me of mobos supporting VDimm plz because my current one is Perfect and i love it so muc (Tusl2-C) but the only down side is that it doesn't have vdimm!!!

Hmm. I hear everyone pushing samsung... but I've got a stick of Crucial 256megs pc2100 with 8 chips (not 16) Mt, that hits 166fsb without flinching And I'd bet could hit 180-200 with a little voltage boost (Cas 2 kills it though, it barely goes above 150 at cas 2... not that I care as going cas 2.5 to cas 2 gives about half a percentage performance gain. Makes you mess your pants dont it. :p)

I agree Lithan, Crucial makes some GREAT stuff. I was agreeing with Drunkmonkey and sharing my experiences with Samsung though.

Rizge, I think Epox boards support Vdimm, but I'm not sure what else... my Iwill has a jumper to change VIO (which includes Vdimm) from 2.5-2.6-2.7. Others will be able to better answer this question.

The 8K3A will do up to 3.2 Vdimm and 2.2 Vcore without any modding whatsoever. I used this board and I loved it. Now, I run Asus' nForce2 board, the A7N8X Deluxe, and it's even better. It locks both PCI and AGP buses so you can OC to your heart's content without worrying about running your buses out of spec or corrupting your hard drive. It's loaded with features and is more than worth the $150 I paid for it.

~THT

epox has very good vdimm adjustments, mine goes up to like 3.2 or something rediculous. i'm pretty fond of corsair ram. i had a 128meg cas2 pc2100 stick that ran 166 @ cas2 fastest timings. i know it's pricey stuff but wow!

Back