• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MD players?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Snub

I've been hearing alot about mini disc players and I was wondering where can I get them and what is the deal?

http://www.minidisco.com/

Good place to buy and compare models. There was also a minidisc faq somewhere out there on the net which will help you ALOT in making a decision. There are different revisions of the ATRAC codec, with the latest (dunno whats the latest now) being better then the older versions. The faq usually has a database of minidisc players and what revision of the ATRAC codec they use.

I have a home minidisc recorder myself, and I use it mainly for recording off the radio, and the digital inputs to connect my PC to my home theatre. Other then that, I stick with a mp3 CD player when I'm on the go. Find the faq, read it all, and make your decision. I'll try to find the faq myself just incase you can't find it.

[Edit]Found it! http://www.minidisc.org/ The site contains ALOT of information, especially on specific models! Certain players/recorders can be modified/hacked to offer more options. The FAQ is also located on that site. Its a huge FAQ, but worth the read.[/Edit]

They're neat, but I got burned buying one of those bum Sharp min disc players/recorded a few years ago (known laser issue with the particular model I bought).

I have since forgotten about mini disc altogether. The only reason, I told myself, for getting one was to record live shows.

Live shows attended since purchasing it: 2

It's neat, I like the concept and quality, but it just doesn't seem to have a "place"... CDs are going to be going away, but DVD is poised to take its place... not minidisc... it's the "Beta" video cassette of the 21st century.

Pinky... You sound like me. I bought the 702 and 722 models a couple years ago. I had to send them back for replacement, like every couple of months because of the issues with the whole "TOC" thing. Several other users over at www.minidisc.org will agree with that. And it's a shame too because sharp made the best recorders out there.

Eventually, I'll end up getting another 722 (field recording). Looks like sony is really trying hard to market this new i-md line (mp3/mini-disc hybrids).

I've got the Sony MZ-R900 portable recorder/player. And I must say it's great! Cheap media, long recording time if you reduce quality a bit, and it's tiny! Plus a bettery life of several days non stop playing. Also for all the "modders" out there it's another gizmo to improve. So far I've made a tiny mic, an optical output from my soundcard and an interface to my computer making automatic titling a possibility.

The only downside to MD in my book, is the real time recording. So on max compression you can record about 5 hours of music, but this takes 5 hours to do.. Some newer players have higher speed recording, but I haven't used one of those yet. Oh, and I'll be using it a lot doing interviews for my masters degree!

Back