• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any difference..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtx01

Registered
Hey, I am getting a new video card (currently I am using a Guillemot GeForce 2 64mb GTS) and I want a Radeon 9700 Pro. What is the difference between the Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro and the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro?

The main reason I need a new video card is that for some reason my video card does not work well with my new motherboard (Abit KX7-333). I cannot open anything that uses 3d gfx, my comp will just freeze up or give me an error. I put in my brothers GeForce 4 ti4200 128mb and everything worked fine. I have tried to fix the problem and nothing seems to work, and the card is a little bit old so I think it is time for a new one anyways.

I would go with the ATI card. The ATI card will support the Catalyst driver package which is the best driver set for any ATI card, not to mention you usually get better quality and higher default clocks with genuine ATI products...

I think the Catalyst drivers will work with both cards, but the Sapphire will not clock as fast. The built-by-ati cards will outperform the powered-by-ati cards.

Granted, the built by ATI cards should be better as they stick to a reference design, but I saw a bench test with overclocking ability thrown in, and a hercules 9700pro won by a decent margin. Given that it's got ramsinks and a copper HSF, I'm not surprised. I must say though, I'm having a few issues with mine... Posted on here...

Back