• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finding the speed on an old CD-ROM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RetroUO

I have like 5 or 6 old CD-ROMs laying around and they don't say how fast they are on the front panel. Is there a way to test it? I've never run accross anything. Is there a program or something I can use on a computer to test them?

THX for the help.

well you could install it and go to run type in msinfo32 click on components then cd-rom and it will give you a transfer rate speed

In system devices just as the name none of them show their speed, just like manufacturer and stuff. But the msinfo32 I'll try. I'm newer to the more in-depth computer stuff so I actually didn't know about that one. Thx alot.

How does the 32x or whatever that a CD-ROM claims to be relate to the transfer rate speed?
Like my 48x12x48x CD-RW shows a transfer rate of anywhere between 4000 and 9000... Every time I re-open the msinfo32 it's different, does it test it? Why is it variable like that? And in that info it doesn't say 48x12x48x anywhere... And it doesn't refer to the write or re-write at all either.

Is there a more accurate one? Something I can download perhaps? And someway to convert it to whatever measurement the 48x or 32x or whatever is? Cause I need to compare it.

Back