• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My XP 2400+ is NOT 1800+ !!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bum

Registered
When posting my computer would say Athlon XP 2400+, 2000MHz (which is right), but now it says XP 1800+, 1500MHz (100 x 15)...

Now it's possible someone messed with the BIOS settings... but the chip isn't unlocked and you can't change the FSB Frequency in BIOS. It's at 100 MHz.

I have no idea why it reads 1800+ instead of 2400+...

Did you change anything since it used to post @ 2400+? AC3 or anything? Maybe something is connecting the FSB bridges causing the system to boot at 100 FSB...?

Excellent question above. Did you reset cmos either on the mobo or through the keyboard. Default may very well have gone to 100 and just needs to be reset to 133 or whatever. This frequently happens to me during my playing around with max settings.

Ok here's the story... I had a Boot Disk Failure happening because I hadn't installed the OS, I didn't know it was because of that, so I brought it into the local computer shop. I had him fix up my build job, nothing major, but he may have messed with the BIOS settings.

I have an 8K5A2 Epox...

And yes, for the error, I loaded the Fail-Safe Defaults to try and correct it.

How can I reset it to the higher FSB?

On your motherboard there should be jumpers to set it @ 100mhz fsb, or 133mhz fsb. It needs to be set at 133.

See that's my problem... I can't select the FSB Frequency option... it's just on display for me to yell at.

Unlocking has nothing to do with fsb. You should be able to change it in the BIOS.

Also check the mobo jumpers.

Last edited:
No no no... I checked the mobo jumper... it's set to 133 MHz.

And I really can't change the FSB Freq. in the BIOS, I'm not lying :)

It just skips over it when I try to go to it... this is what it reads...

System Performance Normal
Current FSB Frequency 100 MHz
Current DRAM Frequency 133 Mhz
DRAM Clock 133 MHz
DRAM Timing By SPD

Etc. I can't select Current FSB or Current DRAM...

lmao

It's at 2400+ now :)

Show's how much I know.

Thank you Avalanche, for thinking a bit more simpler and figuring out what I was doing wrong :)

Thanks for all the other help too guys :)

Oh, one more thing... I'm barely even an overclocking beginner, but do you think I could just simply set the clock speed up to get more MHz without having to change anything else? I do plan on overclocking...

yes you can up the clock speed to get more mhz, but just watch your temps.

What you were doing earlier, is setting the ram to 133mhz, but the cpu stayed @ 100mhz bus.

When you OC, bump FSB 1mhz at a time. Watch you temps. Do it until the system becomes unstable at full load. Then back off 2mhz. You should be good. :):):)

Back