• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are the C1 2.40bs overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I sold a 2.4B C1 in the forums and the person I sold it to was able to get it up to 2934MHz.. with 1.63v and not trying to hard.. I'm sure he'll get 3GHz...

Thus far for my 2.4 C1:

2.92Ghz

Sandra Burn Stable at FSB 163= DDR 434Mhz at 2,6,3,3 1.63 volts actual using 3/4 divider.

PCI/AGP is locked at 33/66 but my video card is flaky. Has been since I bought it.

Approaching 15000 in 3DMark.

TIMSTER

This is my first post.

Thought you should know I just bought two 2.4Bs - C1 stepping.

The first one was a SL6EF from Atacom for $ 210. That was a guaranteed C1.

FPO L235A356
Malay
Pack Date 10/16/02

That one runs a stable 3.006ghz (167mhzx18) @ 1.575v running Sandra Burn-In while downloading files all night on an Asus P4GE-V using Samsung PC2700 RAM @ 417mhz.

The other is a 2.4 C1 just pulled out of a Dell I ordered that I got cheap with rebates. That one is a week 44 - Malay and runs almost identical 3.006ghz @ 1.55v. This one will boot to 3.15ghz (175mhz) @ 1.65v but die in 2 mins. Haven't tried going over 1.675 v on either cause I think they both seem to hit the wall over 168-170 mhz no matter what voltage you give them.

Both have been tested with the stock Intel Heatsink. I'm waiting for an AX-478 to be delivered any day now, but I believe 3.06 is the limit on both of these chips.

Temp is running 135 degrees during the burn-ins. I'm surprised they don't fail once they get that hot.

I guess I'm gonna get a 2.4b C1 this weekend. I saw one in one of the stores here in Japan last week. I hear Newegg has them but there is no guarantee.

I'd be happy at 3 gig, 166 fsb.

Anybody know who is selling 2.53b C1s?

Clevor said:
I guess I'm gonna get a 2.4b C1 this weekend. I saw one in one of the stores here in Japan last week. I hear Newegg has them but there is no guarantee.

I'd be happy at 3 gig, 166 fsb.

Anybody know who is selling 2.53b C1s?

http://www.atacom.com has guaranteed 2.4 C1s for a $20 premium over the "normal" ones. Their prices are a bit higher than Newegg, unfortunately: $200 bucks for a standard 2.4 and $220 for the C1 :(.

With the yen rate here in Japan, I can get the C1 2.40b for less than $210 U.S. :). I only saw one store with it though, but there should be more this weekend.

I have a 2.4B C1, made in Philippines week 36, SL6EF.
2862Mhz is really all that's stable with it. I'm bummed about it.
I might buy another this weekend and try again.

Then again, may as well just get a 1.8A. It might reach the same limit.

anomaly said:
I have a 2.4B C1, made in Philippines week 36, SL6EF.
2862Mhz is really all that's stable with it. I'm bummed about it.
I might buy another this weekend and try again.

Then again, may as well just get a 1.8A. It might reach the same limit.

Hey anomaly its nice to see you over here.

Just thought I'd mention that if your going to try a new chip that the 1.8 seems like a good idea to me.

I got mine from newegg last week and although its not a C1, I have it running at 2.88 right now at default voltage and that was with stock cooling. I got my watercooling rig setup today and plan on raising the voltage and seeing if I can hit 3GHz, but first I'm off to bed.

More Later

Mike

PS I put an update in the thread over at amdmb.com

Hey Hugo!
You are big time over here!
Glad to see another Iwill user over here.

I'm considering trying a 1.8 from Fry's and returning it if it doesn't go higher than my 2.4. I'd feel kinda crappy though if I did that. We'll see. There is a computer fair 50 miles away from me this weekend. I might go out there and see if I can find another C1 to try. 1.8 or 2.4. If my results are the same, then I could always sell it on ebay.

I'm new to Intel, but from what I'm seeing, water cooling may not be necessary. It seems like some chips don't do more at 1.8+vcore than they do at 1.65 or 1.7vcore. Am I wrong? Maybe it's just another roll of the dice.

Get that water pumping and let us know some results.

anomaly said:
Hey Hugo!
You are big time over here!
Glad to see another Iwill user over here.

I'm considering trying a 1.8 from Fry's and returning it if it doesn't go higher than my 2.4. I'd feel kinda crappy though if I did that. We'll see. There is a computer fair 50 miles away from me this weekend. I might go out there and see if I can find another C1 to try. 1.8 or 2.4. If my results are the same, then I could always sell it on ebay.

I'm new to Intel, but from what I'm seeing, water cooling may not be necessary. It seems like some chips don't do more at 1.8+vcore than they do at 1.65 or 1.7vcore. Am I wrong? Maybe it's just another roll of the dice.

Get that water pumping and let us know some results.

Yep temps ain't as critical as they used to be in oc'ing these newer P4s. You'll actually burn the cpu up from over volting it, over time, more so than you stand the risk of just plain frying your cpu due to too high a temps. From what I read in another thread here it is because of the smaller .13 micron die size, which , as the volts are increased, has a tendency to blow the gates in the chips, over time, regardless if the temp is low enough or not. And we are making the mistake of just going by our temps without regards to over-volting the cpu. And we know that if we can run a higher than acceptable voltage while keeping the temps down, then the temps will only go lower if we decrease the voltage to something more acceptable in keeping the cpu gates from blowing.

Cheers,
Mike

tryed 3
the 1st can do 3ghz at 1.63v
the 2nd can do 3ghz at 1.6v
the 3rd can do 3ghz at 1.55v

the first 2 never tryed over 3ghz, the 3rd can do 3250 at 1.72v, but with some burn-in i think ti can do 3250 at 1.7v or less (tryed only for 3 hours!!! :( )

all with liquidcooling and 3° water

One thing that some of you are forgetting is that the amount of cooling really affects the level of overclock you can get. I haven't seen much discussion on this lately. Also, when dealing with high FSB like the 2.4B CPU with it's low multiplier, then the mobo and chipset can make a world of difference. Memory is another factor that can hold you back. It's hard to separate all these things out to figure out if it's the CPU or other things preventing big overclocks. On top of all this, Intel is probably binning the lower C1 steppings and making the best cores into the high end processors. Check my signature if you wanna know what my C1 does (although it's not a 2.4).

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 2.4b c1 from atacom.com. I had them pull the box and give me the info. It was packed 10-3 and if i remember right, it was like week 36 I think, dont hold me to it. It was a Costa Rica chip. I am going to test it in my IT7 on air to see what it will do. I got my topless prometia today. I also ordered a 2nd case to cut down to transplant the prometia to. I am hoping that I will have my case complete and put together by the end of the month. I am hoping to reach 3.2-3.4 on air. If I can hit that, then I cant wait to see what it will do with some prometia cooling!!!

Buzzdog

Back