• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are the C1 2.40bs overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

The C1 2.40bs have been out for around a month now. But I don't hear of many guys doing 3 gig on them. One guy said it didn't overclock a damn. So what's the scoop; how high are you guys getting?

Nobody seems to be putting any or many C1 stepped P4s in the overclocking database. I've looked several times and seen practically ZERO, or 1 or 2 C1 stepped P4s. Everybody needs to post their C1 stepped P4 overclok there.

Cheers,
Mike

So far, I am stable at only 2.7Ghz. This is with phase change cooling. I am able to boot into windows at 3.1Ghz but no higher no matter what voltage I through at it. I am able to run the computer just fine at 3Ghz but forget gaming. I suspect my video card is flaking out on me as it has done this since I got it new.

I'll keep you posted when I can.

Timster

Actually I notice some 3 giggers in the database even though they are not C1s. But you know what they say: throw out the top 5 scores in that database . . .

I was particularly interested in how high guys are getting air cooled. I know early rumors were the C1s won't necessarily overclock higher, just you can use lower voltage. On the other hand, if you can hit 2.9 gig at 1.65 volts, wouldn't 1.75 take you over 3 gig? Maybe it's not working out that way.

Hey Timester, I bet a lot of guys at 3 gig aren't really all that stable at 3D. I got a BD7-II which is as good as it gets. I can boot at 3 gig and even pass 3DMark2001 and 2000, but the Serious Sam 2nd Encounter demo loop gets an illegal op. That ain't 3 gig in my book.

Yeah, the voltage is nice and low. Heck, I booted into Windows at 2.9Ghz with 1.6 actual. Low voltage was nice. Temps were around 7 to 8 Celcius. Running Sandra burn highest temp was 45-50C. No matter how much voltage I threw at it, it just rebooted over and over. Perhaps my memory was too aggressive however, I did try 2 3 3 7 at 2.8 volts but no luck. I still say my video card is an issue. Everytime I boot it distorts for a moment then comes back. This has been an issue even before I started overclocking.

Right now as I type this, I am at 2.7Ghz 1.55 actual and temps running at 12C.

TIMSTER

2.4B0 runs great at 166.

Thread

See my benchies, I'm wunderin if a 1.8a and 2.4b C1 or B0 are the exact same chip with the exact same capabilities just a High or a Low from one pin makes them that different in price, performance of a 1.8 at 2.4 is obviously the same and all 1.8s do 2.4 easily. Makes me wunder if i got screwed by buying this CPU? Thinking, thinking, thinking, YUP i got SCREWED!! Shoulda bought a 1.8 and saved $200 frikin dollars.

CRAP!

Kam

The C1 is not the same as a B or A northwood. The C1 core has a better IPC and therefore does more per clock cycle. My 2.53 C1 outscored my 2.26 B by 20 seconds in the 2M SuperPi test at the same 3 GHz speed. And the 2.26 should have been faster since the FSB was higher. The C1 is an improved chip, whether it overclocks better is another story.

pacino said:

I second that, if you're shooting for 3Ghz, you're still gambling :)

-sorry for jacking the thread for a sec-

Hey pacino, I noticed you have 2 PC4200 sticks in your P4T533; could you tell me the Samsung product number of those? Have you tried how high these 2 can run in 4x Turbo yet?

kamilkluczewski said:

I'm wunderin if a 1.8a and 2.4b C1 or B0 are the exact same chip with the exact same capabilities just a High or a Low from one pin makes them that different in price ...

If the chips are of the same stepping and revision, they are "the same" in that aspect. Each chip has it's own frequency limits though. How Intel deals with that and why the chips marked lowest by Intel often overclock so well is related to their binning policies.

Mike360000 said:
Nobody seems to be putting any or many C1 stepped P4s in the overclocking database. I've looked several times and seen practically ZERO, or 1 or 2 C1 stepped P4s. Everybody needs to post their C1 stepped P4 overclok there.

Cheers,
Mike
that database is never up to date. it lags behind the forums info by at least a few monthes. i personaly dont check it anymore. besides there so many variables to a good overclock that i could give you my cpu and you might do 300 mhz better or worse than me.

my 2.4 c1 is doing well as was my 2.4 bo. but this c1 is being ram limited to 3.1 ghz at 1.58 volts and droping as it breaks in. at 1:1 ram divider it can do 3.45 at 1.75 volts. not much testing done at that hight except 3dmark 2001. all the codes and such for this cpu can be found in my old post

pacino said:

1 or 2 sticks doesn't really make any difference, highest I reached @ 4x is 160fsb. Anything beyond that is not stable, but gotta love the 4.1G memory bandwidth lol

Ok thanks for the info. Rumour says 1 stick could improve timing, but 160Mhz on 2 sticks is far from shabby. I wonder what .13m samsungs will do. =D

I was wondering on buying a 1.8GHz C1 stepping, but most people dont have good OC so I should save $$$$$$$ and get a faster athlon 2000+

Overclocker550 said:
I was wondering on buying a 1.8GHz C1 stepping, but most people dont have good OC so I should save $$$$$$$ and get a faster athlon 2000+

Hm? Most people DO get a great overclock even from older B01.8A chips! The most common speed is 2.4Ghz @ 133Mhz FSB... I'd forget about the athlon. =D

well i have a C1 2.4B on the way so we'll see it can do. my last B0 1.8A could easily do 2.7 and nothing more but now i got a much better PSU (Antec True 550) and it has stabilized my [email protected] where before it could only do 2.85. This 2.53B is on its way out because I would like to hit higher FSB

Overclocker550 said:
The athlon is half the price. Even no OC on the athlon, its just as fast for cheap

Pentium 4 1.8GHz 512k from PriceWatch: 125$

Athlon XP 2000+ from PriceWatch: 72$

The XP is certainly cheaper, though not half the P4's price. The P4's overclocking abilities have been tested fairly well. From the database:

Total Entries in Database for Pentium 4 NW 1.8 - 162
Average overclocked speed - 2560 Mhz

These are mainly B0 steppings, it seems as if the C1 ones do exceptionally well. Now it's up to you to decide whether that 2560Mhz + possible C1 gain is worth the extra cash compared to the XP2000's potential;

Total Entries in Database for Palamino 2000 - 131
Average overclocked speed - 1879 Mhz

I think the P4 is faster, and that is why I'd choose that. If you're on the dollar in this case your mileage may vary. Personally I'd say 125$ for a CPU is not a huge amount.

I just got another B0 1.8 and did 166FSB (again) on default voltage, that's nearly 3Ghz given! .. It seems it does not matter whether you get a C1 1.8 or B0 for the recent packs, they all do 3Ghz+ ..

Back