• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LockUp after a few min and then fails to boot for a while.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Ok my neighbors were having some pc's problems and decided just to upgrade their pc's mobo and cpu and they gave me the old one... Its a Athlon 950, with Fic AZ11 Mobo. Well anyway after I boot it up after it hasnt had power to it in a while itll boot up fine, but a few minutes latter itll completly freeze up and then locks up when I go and restart it. I have even turned the power completely off then turned it back on and it just locks up a few seconds after I press the power button while its detecting the drives. I have tried completely diferent parts except for the mobo and cpu so nothing other than one of those can be causing the problem. The temps are fine when it does boot and the heatsink doesnt really feel hot. Ive restet the bios too but that still didnt work... ive also tried another PSU... Any clues? Im thinking something on the mobo is just busted or somthing on the CPU is messed.

I think the fic mobo is the problem.
fic???
who ever heard of that.

I had a similar problem with a boistar mobo. I learned the hard way that cheap mobos are not worth the 20bux you "Save".

Fic is crap I've never had any success with them nor do I know of any one that has.How ever if you want a cheap board that is really good get something from ECS.I recommend the ECS K7S5A.

lol yea im pretty sure its the FIC mobo messin up.... I myself would have picked a better one, but this was just some free POS that my neighbor gave to me for free cause he had purchased some new parts hehe. Thanks for replying!

well acording to the onboard its around 30C... and when I touch the heatsink its pretty cool. This mobo and cpu were running fine for like a year in my neighbors pc and then just started getting the freezing problems. They got tiered of the freezing and just bought a new mobo and faster cpu and gave me the old ones. (They wanted a faster pc anyway) Its odd though because itll actualy boot after being off for like a day but then itll lock up within 5minutes, then it wont boot even after u turn the power off for a while. When I say it doesnt boot I mean as when I press the power button the pc starts to bootup then locks right after detecting the drives b4 windows loads. But its odd cause the way it is acting you would think heat problems but the heatsink is cool, onboard is reading low temp, it worked fine for over a year with no probs, ect... maybe some chip on the mobo is just going and kicks in every once and a while.

Back